Need a connectivity cable to connect Inspiron 1420 to LCD HDMI port.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Need a connectivity cable to connect Inspiron 1420 to LCD HDMI port.

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420.  I need a cable that would help me connect my laptop to my LCD TV via its HDMI port.

Please suggest me possible connectivity ideas.

All Replies
  • It is not possible to connect your Inspiron 1420 to the HDMI port of your LCD TV. There is no adapter cable that will make this possible.

If your LCD TV has a VGA input you can use a VGA to VGA cable to connect your laptop.

If your LCD TV has an S-video input you can use a standard S-video to S-video cable to connect your laptop.

John

My Dell system

Inspiron 1520 purchased 5 Feb 2008
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7250:2.0Ghz, 2MB cache, 800MHz FSB
    4GB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphics memory
  • Hello, I have connect a VGA with HDMI, but the TV don't identify, Do you know if I can install some driver in my computer for the TV identify for HDMI my computer?

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1420 and my TV is a Sony Bravia LED

Thanks a lot

• VGA (analogue) to HDMI (digital) won't work. Is it just a cable you're using?

You'll need a converter box

http://www.techmafia.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi

You have an S-Video connector but again you'll need an extra box of tricks to convert to HDMI

Paul

• Hi williamgb,

I believe you are using VGA to HDMI adater to connect your TV with the computer. Once you have connect the cable, you would need to change the input source to HDMI on the TV. Next, press Windows + P (if using Windows 7) to display the video on the TV. You can use either duplicate or projector only mode.

Please refer to the manual for your TV.

Thanks & Regards,
    Appu S
    #iworkfordell
    To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

• Paul

VGA (analogue) to HDMI (digital) won't work. Is it just a cable you're using?

You'll need a converter box

http://www.techmafia.co.uk/vga-to-hdmi

You have an S-Video connector but again you'll need an extra box of tricks to convert to HDMI

It is a pity people thinking that buying a VGA to HDMI cable will let them connect their laptop to their TV.

Sadly a more costly solution such as the converter box you've linked is require. The converter boxes are also sold at Amazon and Newegg.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7