Windows 7 Drivers for INSPIRON 6400

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Windows 7 Drivers for INSPIRON 6400

This question is not answered

There are no win7 drivers for my laptop at Dell support center.

It has minimum hardware requirement for 7.What should i do?

All Replies
  • You'll need to find drivers on your own.  A 6400 isn't a good candidate for 7 - it's too old and too slow.  Stick with XP.

While 7 performs better than Vista, in general a system that doesn't provide a good VIsta platform won't be good with 7 either.

• EJN63

I rarely disagree with you, but in this case I must. 

1. I'm running a I6400 with Windows 7 Ultimate
    2. It worked great with Vista too (Runs MUCH BETTER WITH 7)
    3. All drivers were native, I needed no downloads for my configuration (intel wifi)

At lest 2 GB RAM is recommended, and at least a 30 GB HDD

Donald Kempf

Inspiron E1505 /XPS 10 Windows 8

Dimension 8400 Windows XP/Vista/8

#IWork4Dell

• I also am trying to run windows 7 pro on my Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop and am missing the driver for the Ricoh SD card device. How to get it done??

Would 7Ultimate provide the missing driver?

TIA, Fletch

• When upgrading/installing the operating system, you have to install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

If you cannot find Windows 7 drivers, then try the Vista 32-bit(or XP) drivers for Windows 7 32-bit or the Vista 64-bit(or XP) drivers for Windows 7 64-bit and install them in the Compatibility mode

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• PudgyOne
    When upgrading/installing the operating system, you have to install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first, or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Is above method required???

•  jbiden,

If you do not install the drivers in the correct order, you will have devices not installing, like the webcam, USB Ports, wireless adapters, etc..., just to name a few. The desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers have the drivers to install thew devices that are attached to that computer.

You can start with the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first, then install the rest.

Processor Driver (if applicable)
    Video
    Audio (sound)
    Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
    Modem
    Network Card

QuickSet(Laptop only)

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

• But i believe that it is not required to install in an order.

• May be a bit of a late post but I have finally found a complete set of drivers.

Windows 7 32 bit with SP1. If your disc does not include SP1 use http://www.rt7lite.com/ and the standalone SP1 to integrate it to a new disc.

R143625 Dell Notebook Software

R140623 Intel Chipset

R141246 Ricoh Chipset

R141200 Touchpad

ICS_Ds32 Intel PROSET Wireless

R226750 Bluetooth

R166699 Dell Quickset

R272748 Skype 4.2

Note this system works perfectly on windows 7 including the bluetooth functionality which I previously disabled as I could not get it to work. Install the drivers in the order mentioned above

Just google search the R numbers. Note I had the integrated intel graphics, you may need a graphics driver for the other variants but I think this is available.

Note this system is upgradable to 4 Gb of RAM. It can use about 3.25 Gb of the RAM as DDR2 is relatively cheap now it is a worthwhile upgrade and performs much better with it on 7 or Vista.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.