The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system can only boot with a 130 watt power adapter or greater. Strike the F1 key to shutdown. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system can only boot with a 130 watt power adapter or greater. Strike the F1 key to shutdown. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter

This question is not answered

I have been doing a lot of reading regarding this problem except my problem has a twist.

I have an XPS 1710 laptop with all the bells and whistles. The power adapter cord frayed and one of my sons continued using the laptop until the battery died. I purchased a new adapter. I press the power on button and the exterior LED lights work and the computer runs through the startup post. As soon as the bar completes filling in I get a black screen with the following comment

When I reseat the power adaptr I get the same message. While POST is running I have the option of hitting the F2 or F12 function key. It does not matter which one I choose , when POST completes I get the same message. I can not get the laptop to boot at all.

The DVD player lights up as well as the hard drive light but eventually I get the black screen with message.

Has anyone else out there had this problem? Maybe the motherboard is fried or the replacement adapter was defective. I made sure the power ratings were the same as the original and I also made sure that the model number was the same as the old one.

Is there a way to bypass the boot sequence with either an installation CD or a USB Flash Drive? Or am I doomed to paying the $400 for the motherboard. I paid close to $5000 for this laptop and it is a little over a year old.  I will have it fixed one way or another.

All Replies
  • There's no bypass, but it may not be necessary to have the board replaced - see if a good soldering shop can replace the power jack.  That should cost about half what a replacement mainboard  will cost.