Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system can only boot with a 130 watt power adapter or greater. Strike the F1 key to shutdown. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter

This question is not answered

I have been doing a lot of reading regarding this problem except my problem has a twist.

I have an XPS 1710 laptop with all the bells and whistles. The power adapter cord frayed and one of my sons continued using the laptop until the battery died. I purchased a new adapter. I press the power on button and the exterior LED lights work and the computer runs through the startup post. As soon as the bar completes filling in I get a black screen with the following comment

The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. The system can only boot with a 130 watt power adapter or greater. Strike the F1 key to shutdown. To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter

When I reseat the power adaptr I get the same message. While POST is running I have the option of hitting the F2 or F12 function key. It does not matter which one I choose , when POST completes I get the same message. I can not get the laptop to boot at all.

The DVD player lights up as well as the hard drive light but eventually I get the black screen with message.

Has anyone else out there had this problem? Maybe the motherboard is fried or the replacement adapter was defective. I made sure the power ratings were the same as the original and I also made sure that the model number was the same as the old one.

Is there a way to bypass the boot sequence with either an installation CD or a USB Flash Drive? Or am I doomed to paying the $400 for the motherboard. I paid close to $5000 for this laptop and it is a little over a year old.  I will have it fixed one way or another.

All Replies
  • There's no bypass, but it may not be necessary to have the board replaced - see if a good soldering shop can replace the power jack.  That should cost about half what a replacement mainboard  will cost.