Dell XPS M1730 Battery Failed

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell XPS M1730 Battery Failed

This question is not answered

It appears from reading so many other reviews and rants about this battery in the Dell XPS M1730 there is a problem, battery failure is the same old story of failing just after the warranty expires. A few weeks after my warranty expired my battery failed. I have never called upon my battery to run my laptop alone. The power adapter has been plugged in at all times. The rechargeable battery apparently failed to recharge itself. And thouh the power adaptor that charges the battery it still has gone bad and Dell will not replace it without charge. Obviously Dell does not stand by their products and I conclude this is a case of 'planned obsolescence'. BAD DELL!

I learned the Battery warranty covers only one year irrespective of the extension. Batteries are consumable products and they lose charge easily upon usage and hence they carry only one year warranty from the date of purchase.

My laptop was a gift from my husband and he purchased 3 years of extended warranty....now I'm thinking that was a waste of his money. Perhaps Dell doesn't produce quality products after all and we consumers should consider other makers.

All Replies
  • The battery in my XPS 1730 lasted 14 months.  This is my 4th Dell laptop and and I treated the battery in it the same as I did all the others, discharged it once a month and otherwise kept it on the power supply.  The other 3 laptops were all inspirons, 8100, 9300, and 9400.  The batteries on them did not give out while I owned them and the 9300 and 9400 still work fine.  That means the batteries are 3-5 years old.  I think if the XPS laptops run too hot for the batteries to survive over a year then Dell should let us know to remove them when not in use.

• THANK YOU!

I agree with your comment that Dell should inform their customers to remove the battery from the XPS 1730.

• ejn63

Leaving the battery in a system run on AC power all the time WILL shorten its lifespan. 

I googled to find this topic, so I'm a bit late, but I wanted to note that the "owner's manual" of the M1730 says

• For optimal computer performance and to help preserve BIOS settings, operate your Dell™ portable computer with the main battery installed at all times. One battery is supplied as standard equipment in the battery bay.
    • Connect the computer to an electrical outlet when possible because battery life is largely determined by the number of times the battery is used and recharged.

[http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm1730/en/om_en/html/battery.htm#wp1058547 and

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm1730/en/om_en/html/battery.htm#wp1061942]

I don't know what I should do, now...

• When the main battery dies after 12 or 13 months, like mine has, you purchase another battery. Dell understands the life expectency of the battery hence the 12 month warranty.

• If that is true, and you want to avoid it, don't buy another Dell - but then again, you won't buy an Asus, Acer/Gateway/eMachines, Apple, HP/Compaq, Toshiba, Sony, MSI, Samsung, LG, or any other notebook - all of which have the exact same cutoff of 12 months.

It may be true that a percentage of lithium ion batteries significant enough for the manufacturer to offer a 12-month only warranty, will fail -- but unless you're bitter about the situation, you realize that's a limitation inherent to all notebooks (and all devices) that use lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries.

Having just bought a new cell phone, I was offered up to two years of extended warranty/insurance - but guess what part is excluded, being covered for only 12 months?

• I had the same problem with my XPS M-1730... my laptop runs primarily on ac power, except when I am traveling, which can be infrequent, depending on the projects I am working on... mine failed at approx 11 months and 2 weeks and the "Dell" replacement battery (at the time) was selling for $179 from Dell (it looks like they have dropped the price a bit recently, but only to $155).  Dell refused to honor the warranty because I didn't call them until 2 weeks after the waranty expired... my fault, and under normal circumstances I would not have let the warranty date pass by (I had just gotten married, and was preoccupied w/ moving my family into a new house), but geez... I have had a long standing relationship w/ Dell (over 10 years), which you would think might count for something, but after some frustrating failed negotiations, I finally just gave them the option of honoring the waranty or losing a customer who has purchased more than 20,000 in computers from them personally, and has been responsible for hundreds of thousands of dollars in corporate purchases over the last 10 years.  I spoke w/ customer service, technical support, and 2 levels of management and in the end, they decided to call my bluff...

I wasn't bluffing.

After I got off the phone, I called HP and set up a corporate account for my business and placed an order for a server and 2 laptops.  Then I ordered my replacement battery from a 3rd party vendor... It's only rated at 73 watt/hours (Dell's "brand name" replacement is rated at 85), but it works, and at 72 bucks I bought 2 of them for less that the price of 1 from Dell, so now I have a backup.

So... Goodbye Dell...

Consumers SHOULD consider other products... make Dell COMPETE based on something real, rather than expensive ad campaigns, pricey junk-mail catalogs and brochures, and a ONCE good reputation.  Their consumer customer service and support has been sub-par for the last couple of years anyway, probably as a result of some briliant executive with an MBA (and no common sense) making a dollars-only based decision to outsource service and support (corporate CS is still pretty good), and Dell is past due for getting a solid rebuke from the market place.  The only think that they will understand is losing customers and sales, and since they have grown to become a really large organization, they will probably need to lose a LOT of customers before they get the message...  They would never have conducted business this way 10 years ago when they were having to fight tooth and nail to build up the market share that they now apparently take for granted.

By the way, the previously posted argument that batteries in newer laptops don't last as long (which in a way implies that they "shouldn't") w/o regular discharges because of the heat generated by the newer faster systems is just plain bunk.  To me, this is just a bad excuse for poor planning and design on the part of the manufacturer.  The fact that excess heat can affect a battery's longevity doesn't eliminate the manufacturer's responsibility to design a system that dissipates heat effectively and away from components that are susceptible to heat-related damage.  I don't know the poster's relationship (if any) to Dell, but the fact that this and other similar arguments are in circulation within the user community, in my opinion, is evidence of an attempt to divert attention away from the manufacturer's responsibility by blaming the users, who incidentally were not made aware of these issues when they were being wooed into buying these pricey new laptop systems or even after they had made a purchase.

One last thing to note... my Sony VAIO laptop, which has been the backbone of my mobile recording rig for the last 2 years, has the same CPU as my XPS, same amount of RAM, comparable video card, not one, but TWO LARGE internal sata drives, uses every available USB, Firewire, and Express Card slot, and it STILL works on the original battery after 2 years, in spite of the fact that it has probably only been run on the battery a total of 20 hours since I bought it.

• The poster 'ejn63' caused me to think he works for Dell defending the product and suggesting it's the consumer who's at fault. If you notice this poster is all over the various forums.

I'm with the thought that it's deliberate providing batteries that die after 12 months with a 12 month warranty. It's a capitalism at its best or worst depending on your view. Profiting from product that has planned obsolescence engineered ought to be considered a breach of customer rights.

• It's your bias that caused you to think that way, not what I wrote.   I do not and never have worked for Dell.

Perhaps your second statement is true, but it applies universally - to every notebook vendor, not just Dell.  If you understand the chemistry of lithium cells, you know they're mechanically fragile and while they pack a high power density, they're not particularly robust.

It's why the Toyota Prius is powered by far lower energy-density nickel-metal hydride batteries, not lithium cells.

Have you purchased an Apple product yesterday? My new iPod has a disclaimer that battery life may diminish after 12 months - surprise, surprise. 

Apple claims to have a better battery technology in its new Macbooks - they say five years, but warrant the battery for one. And if it does fail, the user will get socked not only for the cost of the battery, but for the labor charge to replace it.  Unlike everyone else, Apple is fond of non-user replaceable batteries.

As for "planned obsolescence" - how about HP printers that read the expiration date from the ink cartridge, and cut off the printer when it is reached - even if the cartridge is completely full?  Or printers that shut down when the waste ink tank is full, requiring service that costs more than the printer did?

• I think that enj63 is loosing the focus on the problem: it's normal for battery life to be reduced after one year of usage, but it's not normal to stop running at all.
    Anyway it's undoubtful that DELL provides low quality batteries with its notebooks.

I bought a DELL XPS M1530 with one year warranty on 04/28/2008 and I'm having your same problem: my battery stops charging when it reaches 14%.

I wonder if it may depends on the battery-chip as it sometimes happens in Apple batteries and if it would be possible to reset its eeprom. Any suggestion about this?

• Found the following info online:

Since laptop battery has experienced several generations of development, great changes have happened at the  size, capacity and type. Currently nickel-hydrogen and lithium are widely used at laptop batteries, the battery is normally provided by shell, battery, charge and discharge control and protection circuitry. Laptop batteries is very important for the machine, most users have troubles with their laptop batteries, more or less. Protection circuit is a very important part for most kinds of laptop batteries , when the battery temperature is too high or excessive discharge current , the battery power may automatically shut down, which is controled by the protection circuit. The temperature beyond the preset temperature of the battery, protection circuit will automatically power off  to protect the battery and laptop computers.

It’s very large damage for the battery to have the battery runing at high-temperature environments, so we should avoid this situation. But if this situation happen to you and your battery is shut down automatically, don’t worry about that and put the battery in a cool place for a moment, then restart to use it. In addition, if  the performance of battery is much poor than before, you should fully charge and discharge times to solve the problem, but the correction should be noted that we cann’t do this too frequent, otherwise it will affect the battery life.

Article:
    We are finishing this article, first, to allow you to open eyes, showing you the unique secret maintenance personnel weapons, and people who read, will understand that what about the so-called original battery. Repair not only the replacement of battery by battery, the battery maintenance may not work, may be very bad performance. This issue is because the EEPROM chip inside the procedure. The procedure is stored inside the battery before you change the information contained in the battery end-of-life information. Smart Battery Workshop, which can change the contents of memory, causing the battery can work like new.
    Approach to repair is very simple, and does not require special knowledge and skills. Only need to connect to the adapter's EEPROM, and then in the software in accordance with "Reset" button. All the necessary Will auto-complete, and then you need to assemble your battery, and then installed on the notebook
    computer. Smart battery data channels provided are in accordance with the read-only via the computer parallel port / smart battery bus adapter directly to the battery interface (57 data area). All of the code tags are converted into the language of our common humanity. Smart battery to allow the user to restore
    the EEPROM to the initial value (which will be inside the battery to clear the use of past records) in addition to manufacturers of information, including the current system information. And you find a permanent error data (if the battery was locked this is the need to unlock the ). so that you can re-packaged in a "new" battery. These don't need any electronic knowledge, all the work will be done automatically. Do not need to involve programmers just click "Reset" button. Can read and
    write frequent battery inside where the content of EEPROM chips. Directly from data stored in EEPROM. "EEPROM Read/Write" If you want to analyze the data which need only to enter the "EEPROM Read / Write" (just the chip to support an effective). Smart Battery Workshop chip currently supports:

BQ2040/24C01/01N
    BQ2040/24C01/01NBQ2040/24C02/02M
    BQ2040/24C02/02MBQ2060/24C01/01N
    BQ2060/24C01/01NBQ2060/24C02/02M BQ2060/24C02/02MBQ2063/24C01
    BQ2063/24C01BQ2063/24C02 BQ2063/24C02BQ2092/24C01
    BQ2092/24C01M37515/ S29L220 (SL220) M37515 / S29L220
    (SL220)PIC16C63A/24C01 PIC16C63A/24C01 (used in COMPAQ Armada M300, E500, M700, Evo and other models) do not support the Smart Battery SystemM37516/AK6480A (80AF) (80AM) (80AR) M37516/AK6480A (80AF) (80AM) (80AR)AS355D/S29L394A (SL394) (IBM ThinkPad T20 .. 23)AS358D/S29L394A (SL394) AS358D/S29L394A (SL394)AS372D/S29L394A (SL394) (IBM ThinkPad R31 and other models) M37516/93C56 (Dell D600 D800 M500 and other models)M37515/24C01/01M (IBM ThinkPad 390, Acer (Acer), as well as other models)M37516/24C01/01M (IBM ThinkPad 390 and other models) M37517/SL194 (Sumsung battery Samsung and other brands)PS331/25LC040 PS331/25LC040PS334/25LC040 PS334/25LC040 PS401 (includes internal FLASH ROM)PS402 (includes internal FLASH ROM)BQ2083 (includes internal FLASH ROM)BQ2084 (includes internal FLASH ROM) BQ2085 (includes internal FLASH ROM)BQ8011/24C01/01N BQ8011/24C01/01NToshiba 24C046 Toshiba 24C046 the software not support part of M37516 firmware. The chips involved in almost all of the IBM ThinkPad, DELL, Toshiba, HP and other laptop batteries. Such as dell xps m1730 battery, dell title="dell m1330 battery">xps m1330 battery, hp pavilion dv6000 battery, dell inspiron e1705 battery Free Download:
    href="http://www.hunt360.org/hunt360/SBW.zip">Smart Battery Workshop 3.71 demo (1590KB)

www.zebradezign.com - web hosting and services, website design

• You do realize that class actions usually result in low-dollar coupons toward future purchases (perhaps $20), and millions for the firms that represent the "class"?