Latitude XT2 tablet docking station

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Latitude XT2 tablet docking station

This question has suggested answer(s)

Is there a docking station or port replicator for the Latitude XT2 Tablet?  I want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

All Replies
  • Did you ever figure this out?  We need to order some too.

• Our tech orderd a the XT dock station.  Everything fits and works except for 2 issues:

1) gives an "incompatible device" before posting and loading os.  F1 key bypasses this error message.

2) Everything appears to work EXCEPT video.  It will display on external monitor, but have not figured out the settings for it to do this correctly.  It either pushes the video at the wrong resolution or ping-pongs the image  between both screens and gives the "error" tone.

We are running windows 7 and are anxiously awaiting a solution from SOMEWHERE.

• was anything different ever figured out on this?

I use UltraMon to do this but I use XP. I thought 7 would handle it.

• Maybe I'm slow here, but is the question what docking to buy for XT2?
    Mine came with the XT2 media bay, which is a special docking only for the XT2.

(So actually I got double when I bought mine, since I had asked for docking and our IT-department did not know there was a Media bay. )

But I have issues with sound and video with the media bay in Win7, will post another thread about that.

• Can you explain what the other one is besides the media base please. I need a dock of some sort but not another cd/dvd drive

thanks

• The other one was not for the XT2, our company usually buys D6400 (or was it E6400? whatever is the current) latitudes so it was for those.
    The docking sockets didn't match the XT2, physically impossible.

But the media bay is a docking good as any as far as I am concerned.
    DVI/VGA, lan, audio, USB's, DVD/CD, firewire, etc. Everything you need as far as I am concerned
    According to another post here at the community you can have dual-view monitors, but I myself have not tried that.

-ToF-

• I'm running XT2 with Win 7 64 bit. When is computer connected on media base and DVI cable connected on both side hit simultaneosly win button and P button and choose option for projector only. This will off you a monitor on computer and left only external. Sometimes happend that when you use big monitor and XT2 monitor simultaneosly that big monitor "shows a wrong picture" because difference in resolution. XT2 support resolutions only up to 1200x800 and if external requires higher you have that problem (I occured sometimes on some big monitors 22" and up in size). Hope that it will help you

regards, Dejan

• I'm running XT2 with Win 7 64 bit. When is computer connected on media base and DVI cable connected on both side hit simultaneosly win button and P button and choose option for projector only. This will off you a monitor on computer and left only external. Sometimes happend that when you use big monitor and XT2 monitor simultaneosly that big monitor "shows a wrong picture" because difference in resolution. XT2 support resolutions only up to 1200x800 and if external requires higher you have that problem (I occured sometimes on some big monitors 22" and up in size). Hope that it will help you regards, DejanBig Smile

• Freebird123

Is there a docking station or port replicator for the Latitude XT2 Tablet?  I want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

The part you're looking for is known as the XT2 Media Base. Unfortunately, Dell does not sell the XT2 Media Base as a stand alone product in the US.  I've checked with Dell parts and they say that they are unable to sell it to me as a part.  This is extremely disappointing.  They only way (at least in the US) to obtain said part is to purchase it when you purchase the XT2.

I recently picked up a couple of refurb'ed Media Bases that were marketed as being for XT2.  They are Dell part # PR12S.  These are NOT made for the XT2, but for the original XT, regardless of the fact that there is indeed some documentation at Dell that seems to indicate so (see http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latxt2/multilang/Media%20Base_SG/DAO-BCC/dao-bcc_sg.pdf ).  Some additional googling turned up the correct part on Dell: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/media/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=317-0186, part # 317-0186 for $229.99, which includes the 8X DVD+-R/W.

If you happen to pick up a PR12S you'll notice issues as soon as you go to use it.  Primarily, if you're running the Dell Connectivity software on the machine and the machine is up and running it will display an error message upon docking with the slice indicating that it is not the correct dock for this computer.  If you boot the XT2 with the PR12S attached you'll get a BIOS error message indicating that the dock is incompatible with the computer and that it should be removed.

If anyone has additional information they can provide regarding this topic it would be appreciated.

• Can PR12S be used with XT2, aside the error message? Is there any danger on damaging the laptop?

I ask this because I got my hands on a Media Base with Dell part code #PR12S and it seems to fit my XT2 with no problems. I haven't tested all the connectors; the USB ports seem to work fine; the display connected to the VGA port was not automatically detected but I managed to get it to work, eventually, at full resolution; the optical unit also works with no problems.

Dell seems to market this product as for XT2 (see the first link in KellyMurphy's post which points to "Dell™ Latitude™ XT2 Media Base" user manual, Model PR12S
    November 2008, P/N J304N, Rev. A00
    ).

There is also the problem of the heat dissipation. Do you think there is a problem, since the fan is covered by the Media Base?

I have also heard that there is another Media Base for XT2 with Dell part code #J261H, but I was not able to find one and test it. Any info on this?

Thank you.