My XPS m1330's keyboard button might be broken..

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

My XPS m1330's keyboard button might be broken..

This question is not answered

Hi, last night while I was on my laptop, I was typing and my F keyboard button came out. I had noticed before that it was a little loose and I figured if it pops up, I can snap it back. So the button did end up coming out and I pushed it back in but it still moves around loosely and I'm afraid it will break sometime soon. Is there a place I can go to replace this button if it does break? Can Dell help me with a replacement part? :(

I feel troubled about this because it's a brand new laptop and it's not like I punch the keyboard when I type. Grr... Haha, please help!

All Replies
  • Hi Harley. Call up or do a chat with Dell support. I bought my daughter a Studio 1537 for Christmas. When I took it out, the delete key had popped off. I was able to gently push it back into place. But within a couple hours it became evident that the keyboard must have taken some sort of impact because the E and Control keys popped off, the space bar was flopping and I could see that the tiny and fragile u-shaped plastic snaps were broken off the backs of the keys. My daughter contacted support, and Dell shipped out a new lighted keyboard the same day. The only frustration was she had to spend about an hour on the phone waiting to connect to a real human. But it came free of charge and I replaced the keyboard within 20 minutes of unpacking it.

You can find the service manual on the Dell site to help you with the removal and replacement.

I understand that my experience may not be typical of late when dealing with Dell's rater overwhelmed support process. So my only warning is: Results may vary.

Good luck / Jim

• Thank you so so much for the information. I hope nothing happens to the keyboard, I was just asking in case of anything but now I know! I was figuring that since its a laptop keyboard that things would get far more complicated than it would with a normal desktop keyboard that can easily be replaced.

Once again, thank you!