Problems with Studio 1737 ejecting CD's

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problems with Studio 1737 ejecting CD's

This question is not answered

Hi there,

I received my Dell Studio 1737 only a few hours ago and the immediate problem I've found is that Fn+F10 and the eject soft touch button don't eject a CD whilst in Vista.  They work fine in the BIOS or Diagnostics Utility but don't work when the machine boots up into Vista.  Having searched the forums, this seems a common problem with Studio 17's and 15's but there doesn't appear to be a solution anywhere.  Does anyone have any idea's or am I going to be forced to call Dell support?

Cheers,

Ry

EDIT - Oh and the drive works fine which is why I've not posted this in the CD/DVD/HDD forum.

BIOS is showing as A04 and the latest available on the Dell Drivers website is A02

All Replies
  • Hi and thanks for your response,

I don't understand though how reseating the hinge cover will help, like I mentioned when I'm in the BIOS or I boot up into the Dell Diagnostics Utility, the soft touch button and Fn+F10 work fine.  This is only an issue when I boot into Vista, neither the Fn+F10 or the soft touch button work at that point. 

• Kally, Dell Support instructed me to update the BIOS for another problem with my Studio 1737. Thank goodness I checked which version I had before I followed their instructions or I would have reverted back to Version 2 when I already had Version 4. 

How is the sound on your Studio? Many of us with Studios are having sound problems with low sound and tinny sound and/or cracks and pops.

post #2

Forum Member Since 2001

• http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247388/19407809.aspx?PageIndex=1

See this thread about the sound problems.

Forum Member Since 2001

• http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247388/19407809.aspx?PageIndex=1

See this thread about the sound problems.

Forum Member Since 2001

• Hi,

I've reseated the cable under the hinge cover and it's had no effect.  I'm not happy about downgrading the BIOS because the only version available on the Driver Downloads page is A02 so if I do flash the BIOS and it doesn't work then I won't be able to upgrade it to A04 again.

Cheers,

Ry

• Hi all,

I'm having the same issue with my studio 1537 so don't feel singled out. I unfortuntualy and blindly followed tech support. They had me reflash Bios, update Quickset, and Update Alps Touchpad. In reterospect I should have noticed that the dates for all the updates predate my system assembly of 12/15/08. They are sending a tech to my home to replace the hinge cover. Now my blue tooth does not work. Good luck and It seems to me that visit to the forums will get more acomplished than a call to tech support.

Goodluck

John

• Hi again,

Thanks for the suggestion. You mentioned reseating the Blutooth card. The tech called today to schedule the cover install and he mentioned reinstalling the OP system as a last resort (to restoring Blutooth). You have to forgive me, but where is the card located?

John

• Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that i just received my Studio 1737 today and at first found that the CD drive wouldn't accept my cd's until i told it to eject and then poked a CD in, after this it was fine but like you all the eject button just did not work.

I took the risk and d/g the bios to 02...and I have to say that for me this seems to have sorted it. Sounds is ok, bluetooth and wireless works fine so it may be the way to go.

You would have thought Dell would have tested 04 before shipping it on their laptops....

• ukkcbeard

Hi Folks,

Just to let you know that i just received my Studio 1737 today and at first found that the CD drive wouldn't accept my cd's until i told it to eject and then poked a CD in, after this it was fine but like you all the eject button just did not work.

I took the risk and d/g the bios to 02...and I have to say that for me this seems to have sorted it. Sounds is ok, bluetooth and wireless works fine so it may be the way to go.

You would have thought Dell would have tested 04 before shipping it on their laptops....

I am glad that you found a solution. I still am hestitant to downgrade the BIOS to version 02. Did you try playing a music/audio CD?  Are you able to get a reasonable sound from your system? Is the sound tinny sounding?  After you downgraded the BIOS does the CD eject button now work? 

Forum Member Since 2001

• Just to let you know that i just received my Studio 1737 today and at first found that the CD drive wouldn't accept my cd's until i told it to eject and then poked a CD in, after this it was fine but like you all the eject button just did not work.

I am glad that you found a solution. I still am hestitant to downgrade the BIOS to version 02. Did you try playing a music/audio CD?  Are you able to get a reasonable sound from your system? Is the sound tinny sounding?  After you downgraded the BIOS does the CD eject button now work? 

Forum Member Since 2001

• Yes the eject button works no problem, sound isn't the greatest quality I've ever heard (Its not totally awful either...) but without any basis for comparison (I downgraded the bios without playing a CD beforehand) I can't say if its any better or worse than it should be....with any luck they'll have a fixed version 4 BIOS out soon.....I suppose it's a toss up between the risk of sound degradation or the eject button working.

• Hi the same thing happend to me. i phoned up Dell on the number at the top of this page and they sorted it out over the internet. it workd out that it was a software problem and then sorted it out for me so it now works fine! they were realy helpful. i reccomend that you phone them!

Rachel

• RachelWay95

Hi the same thing happend to me. i phoned up Dell on the number at the top of this page and they sorted it out over the internet. it workd out that it was a software problem and then sorted it out for me so it now works fine! they were realy helpful. i reccomend that you phone them!

Rachel

I phoned them yesterday and all they did was un-install Quickset and re-install it.  Didn't work so they're sending an engineer to replace the hinge cover and motherboard this morning.  I'll post on whether this fixes it but I don't think it will.  Like I mentioned at the start, the eject button works fine (and Fn+F10) when I'm in BIOS or I boot up into the Diagnostics Utility, it just doesn't work in Vista so I think this is a software issue to do with Vista and not a hardware issue.

• Well folks,

The replacement didn't work as predicted, BUT...

Downgrading the BIOS to version A00 did work.  Both the soft touch eject button and the Fn+F10 now work in Vista.  We didn't try BIOS A02 which you can download from the drivers website because we're working on the principle that if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Hope that this helps others with the same problem and thanks for everyones responses to this thread.

Cheers,

Ry

• Just an update,

The "Dell" tech came yesterday and replaced the hinge cover (it was bad). Now the soft touch multimedia buttons work as well as the blutooth. The tech said that dell is keeping him very busy and that these Studio 15's and 17's are good machines just need some tweeking. He also mention that most of the issues we're all having; mouse, eject button, etc. are all fixable with downloads/ soft ware. Very few are like mine and have  hardware issues. 

Thanks to all posters,

John