Latitude e6500 connect to TV

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude e6500 connect to TV

This question is not answered

What kind of cable will connect my laptop to my TV so I can watch movies on the TV screen that are on my laptop?  I have a new VIZIO TV.  I bought a Belkin HDMI cable that fit the port on the TV but not the laptop.  I am not a gamer, just a movie watcher. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

All Replies
  • I'm in the same boat as you: E6500.

The port for video on the back is called DisplayPort. You can find, online, adapters that will convert to female HDMI from the DisplayPort; you can then connect a standard HDMI cable. I'm planning on doing this myself. You can also avoid the adapter and get a special DisplayPort to HDMI cable, but they look to be quite expensive.

I don't know if anything else will have to be done after the hardware is connected. I'm gonna try it myself soon (once i get an adapter and cable) and see how it goes.

I did read something about a DisplayPort dongle (it would be a small 2-inch cable that attaches to the DisplayPort).. my E6500 did not come with one. Did yours?

• No, it did not come with my system. This system has been a great disappointment.  I'll follow your suggestion and let you know how it turns out.

• What is big deal???? The DisplayPort adapter is $19.99 from Dell. Certainly isn't going to break the bank.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=330-1271

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• personally I think Dell should have included it with the laptop, like they used to include s-video/composite adapter with Latitude series. I have been using Latitudes since C series and I see their cost cutting on every new model (now E6400). This cable cost them nothing to make, so charging $20 is outrageous IMO. Try Monoprice or elsewhere for a much cheaper deal.

• I bought the display adapter from Dell shop and it was delivered after just a few days.

However it didn'work 'right out of the box'.

Solution:

1. a shorter hdmi cable was neeeded, 1 meter works fine on my Latitude E6500. We also have an Acer Aspire which had no problem witha 10 meter hdmi cable.

2. you will need an upgrade of the Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M driver. I use win 7 and dowloaded it from http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

Tested on two different tv's, Philips and Samsung, both video and sound now works fine, and it works with soundbar as well.

Best regards and good luck,

Hasse