Installing a new Bluetooth module into a Lattitude D820

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Installing a new Bluetooth module into a Lattitude D820

This question has suggested answer(s)

I purchased a rebuilt D820 which never had a bluetooth module installed in it.  I have reviewed the installation instructions for installing a new bluetooth module for Dell support.   It references attaching a cable to the 350/360 modules, but my D820 does not have this cable.

I have found a source for the cable, but cannot find instruction on how to install this small cable or where it plugs onto the motherboard of the D820.  I contacted Dell Live Chat support, but unbelievably, they do not have instructions either.  Very strange.

Does anyone have experience with adding this cable to a Lattitude D820?  Does anyone have instructions for performing this?

I would very much appreciate any help I can get to find out where this cable connects to on the D820.

Thank you in advance!

All Replies
  • zenith88

I purchased a rebuilt D820 which never had a bluetooth module installed in it.  I have reviewed the installation instructions for installing a new bluetooth module for Dell support.   It references attaching a cable to the 350/360 modules, but my D820 does not have this cable.

I have found a source for the cable, but cannot find instruction on how to install this small cable or where it plugs onto the motherboard of the D820.  I contacted Dell Live Chat support, but unbelievably, they do not have instructions either.  Very strange.

Does anyone have experience with adding this cable to a Lattitude D820?  Does anyone have instructions for performing this?

I would very much appreciate any help I can get to find out where this cable connects to on the D820.

Thank you in advance!

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd820/en/sm/index.htm

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd820/en/sm/btooth.htm#wp1111212

FWIW:  Since I had a empty WWAN Mini-PCIe slot, ended up just installing the Dell Wireless 370 into a D620 rather than trying to mess with the lesser quality/smaller 350 module and hassle of installing cable.  Gets better range than either the 350/360 since the Dell Wireless 370 can use an external antenna that neither the 350 or 360 supportsNo and there are 2 spare antenna cables in the spare WWAN slot.  Nice!

Good luck with your Mod!

• Thank you for the info and your reply.

So are you certain that this 370 mini-PCI card is compatible with the D820?  I do not see the D820 on the compatability list for this card.   Are you certain this card will work in the D820?

• Thank you Somms  for your info and comments.  I did not receive a reply about my latest inquiry and wanted your knowledge and input on the compatability of the 370 Bluetooth card in the D820 laptop.  I am getting conflicting replies that the 370 Bluetooth card is/not compatable for the D820 laptop.  

Were you successful with the installation of this mini-PC card into your D620 laptop?  Will it be compatable and work in my D820 as well?

I value your response and info here.

Thank you

• This topic rather old,but for those who are looking for more info on the web about dell 370 wireless card and dell d820 laptop compatibility,that would be helpful. As i searched a lot for info,and was not able to find a sure answer if 370 card could be installed to wwan slot on your latitude d820.

That is possible to put 370 card to wwan slot. And it works for me. I can't say if it works like a charm,as i'm still testing it. Though i can't test all the functionality,as i have no BT headphones to test skype or just music files from pc. But laptop can play files from my phones,both moto and SE. It can send and receive files to/from both phones as well.  the white/gray cable from wwan slot was plugged to the card as antenna,i'm not happy with covering range,as 10ft seems to be a deadline (SE to laptop), though if i remember well,when i owned SE 980 stereo bt headset, i was able to receive a signal from se k850  to ds980 at ~20ft without drops if the space between devices was clear.

The main prob is to find out a suitable driver for that card. Not sure about other OS,i use XP. Spent 2 days to find a driver. I hope you gonna be more lucky to find it faster. Good luck.

p.s. i use my laptop with power cable plugged. i can't say if it all work using battery only. And  if it worked for me,doesn't meen it will work for you.