Problem with invalid bios password on my Dell Inspiron mini 9 (910)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Problem with invalid bios password on my Dell Inspiron mini 9 (910)

This question is not answered

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my dell inspiron mini 9 (910).

I've been in the bios, I've set up a boot password and a bios password.

I've put the same password for both.

Everything seemed ok but now when the computer boot and I enter the password the computer says "invalid password".

Same thing when i try to access the bios.

I've just bought the mini 9 and the warranty's still valid so i called dell support, they've given me a special password.

But it does the same error : "Invalid password".

-> what can i try now ? Any help or idea would be appreciated,

thank you

All Replies
  • I have no exp with Mini.

Have you set an alphanumeric password? If so, have you checked that you can use numbers when boot up the Mini?

Have you tried to simply press enter (i.e. blank password)?

Have you tried simple passwords like "00000000" or "12345678" or "admin" (all of these without the "" ).

If all else fails, contact Dell Customer Support.

• :^/ One trick that works for older hardware is to reset the BIOS settings by removing the real time clock battery for a few minutes before re-installing it.  Mind you, that will reset all of its settings, and not just the passwords.  It also requires opening up things that may have warranty seals on them, and may void your warranty.  Only try that as a last resort.

Also, take the time to write down all of the BIOS settings that you can access, because you may need to reset some of them afterward.  Also, consider that modern hardware may be less easily corrected.  If the settings are in flash ROM instead of volatile RAM, you may need to use software to erase the current settings.

:^/ Anyway, good luck....

• thank you both for your answers.

Dell tech has come to my home to remove the motherboard and put another one.

Then, on the new one, he goes in the bios, put a password, like i did.

Then we boot the computer, input the password and guess what?

"Invalid password" again !

Tech guy did not understand.

I think i'll call Dell tomorrow to get my money back. I don't want this computer any more.

• Lauhau

thank you both for your answers.

Dell tech has come to my home to remove the motherboard and put another one.

Then, on the new one, he goes in the bios, put a password, like i did.

Then we boot the computer, input the password and guess what?

"Invalid password" again !

Tech guy did not understand.

I think i'll call Dell tomorrow to get my money back. I don't want this computer any more.

If the system board has been replaced and you are still prompted for a password then your SSD has been password protected.

You will look at having your SSD replaced if you cannot recover this...

• i have the same problem. after clearing the user password in the bios the ask for a user password and the old user password is not accepted. And the admin password which is not changed does he not accept too. :(((( It seems to a bios problem

• i have the same problem,  but the problem appears after i cleared the user password. Now he asked for a user password and the admin password is not accepted. :(

• HI, lauhau

Can you send me  the special password? I think that the master password or back door password..

Thanks

Wink

• To change a password try this it worked perfectly for me.

https://answers.edge.launchpad.net/dell-mini/+faq/311

I am so happy to finally have the password changed to what I wanted and what I knew. I was finally able to download all the updates needed. All it took was a little research.

• i forget my bios password on dell mini laptop service tag is "<ADMIN NOTE:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>". please help me

• pls i want a password to dell mini pls.. any one send me a password pl..... my service tag and system desable i

system disable_ 14691
    service tag <ADMIN NOTE:service tag removed per privacy policy~RK>
    pls......................
  • bigas,

To get the Bios password, Contatc Dell Tect Support.

Contact Dell by Phone

Proof of ownership, Dell will help to unlock it.

Since this thread is very old, this thread will be locked to prevent spammers.

Rick

#DellRockStar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!