Alternative for USB Port

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Alternative for USB Port

• Hello everyone! i am quite new to this forum and i am hopeful to seek any useful answer of my query,

I have a problem that my usb port stopped working few weeks ago and i contacted the resource person and had a chat with dell represetative from india, He told me that this fault is not of my port actually my main board is not working properly, so now i cant replace board as it will cost alot, btw i am using ispiron 5150.

So, I tried to look for any alternative method to use my usb flash drive on my latop, its not about my usb my mp3 player, my camera etc etc everything is accessed via usb port of my laptop, and since last month i am facing this HUGE problem... i cant even use plug n play mouse, as i am getting really irritated using the touchpad of computer, i dont like using that.Plus everytime i have to take data to university i have to write it down on cd and then take cd instead of flash drive.

Please help me in this regards, i need to connect usb devices with my pc, i dont have anough money to replace whole motherboard, and i need to know that what alernative can i have for usb?

• You can buy a PCMCIA USB controller card for about $30.

• is this PCMCIA compatible with my machine too? i am using inspiron 5150, with win xp. 256 MB ram and 40 GB hard disk. 2.8 GHz Processon. can any one plz tell me an estimate cost of this laptop which i am using.

• sunilpervez wrote:
    is this PCMCIA compatible with my machine too? i am using inspiron 5150, with win xp. 256 MB ram and 40 GB hard disk. 2.8 GHz Processon. can any one plz tell me an estimate cost of this laptop which i am using.

ejn63 would not have given you the answer if he didn't believe it worked for your laptop.

the answer you need is there above

Message Edited by ieee488 on 10-27-2008 01:01 PM

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7