Latitude E6400 battery - how to get battry status

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Latitude E6400 battery - how to get battry status

• I've recently received a Latitude E6400. The battery is fine working, but I noticed the battery has a series of LED lights on it, and a charging indicator, which presumable should show the charge remaining. The battery charges OK but I never see these indicator lights display anything.

I've read various guides I downloaded for this laptop but can't find any information on the battery lights.

Does anyone know if these lights actually do anything? Is there a button somewhere to press? Perhaps the battery is faulty?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

• Battery Status

If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the battery light operates as follows:

• Alternately blinking amber light and blue light — An unauthenticated or unsupported, non-Dell AC adapter is attached to your laptop.
    • Alternately blinking amber light with steady blue light — Temporary battery failure with AC adapter present.
    • Constantly blinking amber light — Fatal battery failure with AC adapter present.
    • Light off — Battery in full charge mode with AC adapter present.
    • Blue light on — Battery in charge mode with AC adapter present.

Battery Charge and Health

To check the battery charge, press and release the status button on the battery charge gauge to illuminate the charge-level lights. Each light represents approximately 20 percent of the total battery charge. For example, if four lights are on, the battery has 80 percent of its charge remaining. If no lights appear, the battery has no charge.

To check the battery health using the charge gauge, press and hold the status button on the battery charge gauge for at least 3 seconds. If no lights appear, the battery is in good condition and more than 80 percent of its original charge capacity remains. Each light represents incremental degradation.  If five lights appear, less than 60 percent of the charge capacity remains, and you should consider replacing the battery.

• Thankyou McSteamy. I hadn't realised that charge indicator symbol was actually a button! it's very difficult to push, as its so tiny, even with my little finger.

Anyway, thanks again.

regards 

Mike

• no prob! :smileyvery-happy:
  • I am having the problem of "Alternately blinking amber light with steady blue light", that you mentioned in your post. Its an Inspiron 1420 battery which is just over an year old. Till yesterday it was showing 3+ hrs backup capacity, and suddenly this problem appears. I tried to discharge the battery and then recharge it. But now the battery won't charge and is stuck at 5%. Since it's a temporary failure, please advise how do I resolve this.
  • The battery has failed and needs to be replaced.

==================================================
    Inspiron 15R Laptop
    Intel Core i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4 Threads, 3MB cache) CPU
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400rpm HDD
    15.6 Inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
    Intel HD Graphics
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2
    Dell Wireless 1501
    Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
    6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    PA-12 65W Power Adaptor (19.5V, 3.34A)

• Thanks Balaji. Seems Dell makes sure that its 6-cell batteries die just after they are an year old!
  • I think the cost-cutting in the laptop industry is becoming apparent in things like this.  I have a 5-year old laptop that has better battery life than a 2-year old laptop (both use 6-cell batteries).  My dell is only about 7 months old, but I have a feeling I will be shopping for batteries within the next year.

Inspiron 15R Laptop
    Intel Core i3-370M (2.4GHz, 4 Threads, 3MB cache) CPU
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400rpm HDD
    15.6 Inch High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife
    Intel HD Graphics
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
    Integrated 10/100 Network Card
    8X CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2
    Dell Wireless 1501
    Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
    6-Cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    PA-12 65W Power Adaptor (19.5V, 3.34A)

• Factors That Affect Battery Life

The following factors affect battery performance:

• Processor speed - Enabling features such as Intel SpeedStep® or AMD PowerNow!™ will extend battery life by automatically adjusting the processor speed to meet system demands. These features are typically enabled by default on computers that support them.

• CD, DVD, CD-RW and hard drive access frequency - Moving files and programs directly to the hard drive, when possible, reduces the number of devices requiring battery power. Adding more memory can also help by reducing the need to use a swap file on the hard drive.

• Programs - Running only the programs that are necessary reduces demands on the system processor and memory. Programs that cause intensive use of the processor and drives (such as playing a DVD movie or 3D games) can more than halve the amount of time that the computer can be used on battery power.

• LCD brightness - Lowering the brightness of the LCD screen reduces the amount of power required by the screen.

• Power management - Set the computer to enter suspend or hibernate when idle to conserve battery power when the computer is not being used.

• Battery age - A battery's average life expectancy is 1 year. After this time, it is normal to experience a decrease in battery life.

• but sir i am using dell ac adapter ? and it is showing not charging and Alternately blinking amber light and blue light....plz sir give me some suggestion and also sir laptop start hanging after plugin the ac adapter .