No Boot Device Found

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

No Boot Device Found

• This issue did not stay fixed and now a new problem began yesterday evening with the AC adapter. Not only am I getting the No Boot Device Found message, but now a power adapter message at boot and after loading Windows. The machine will run plugged in, but I get pop-up messages stating, "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. You system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 230W AC adapter or higher for best system operation."

I spoke to Dell and they are sending out a tech with new parts, including a battery, power adapter and motherboard. Hopefully, this will cure it. I have to say that Dell's tech support rep was very polite and responsive. The last two chat sessions were ended with a phone call in follow up.

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Alienware M18xR2 | 3920XM | GTX 780M SLI | Dual 330W AC Adapter
    32GB 2133 | 512GB SSD RAID0 | 4TB HDD RAID0 | 250GB mSATA
    Dual Boot: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Windows 8.1.1 Pro x64 
    Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

• Dell sent out a tech with a new motherboard, AC adapter and battery. Replacement of these part fixed the newer problem with the power adapter warning. The problem with the BCD and boot record continues. Repairing the master boot record/BCD cures the problem for a couple of days.

Dell is sending out a new pair of hard drives.

Dell Technical Support has been very attentive and I am impressed with the service they are providing thus far. It seems I purchased a lemon and they have gone out of their way to try to make it right. I'm crossing may fingers that replacement hard drives will cure this problem.

If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Benchmark Results

Alienware M18xR1 | Alienware M17xR2 | XPS 15 L521x | Inspiron M5030 | Inspiron 15 | Inspiron 910 [Mini 9]

• Dell replaced my motherboard, power adapter, battery and keyboard under warranty. 

I never received the replacement hard drives from Dell. Sad

The support person that told me he was sending them is now pretending that he never agreed to do so. It has been more than a week that the support person told me there was a misunderstanding, and he would research the problem and get back to me. So much for being impressed. Now, they have some catching up to do in order to win my trust back. I don't understand the lack of ownership on the issue with the hard drives. I have already reinstalled the OS more than once, run a battery of diagnostic tests, adjusted BIOS settings as their support person requested, etc. Either the hard drives are bad, the RAID controller is buggy, or there is another known issue with no solution that they are not fessing up to.

In the meanwhile, I continue to repair the boot sector... and it says fixed for a few day, only for the "No Boot Device... Strike F1" message to eventually return. I have also had a few BSOD with stop errors mentioning "iastore.sys" - which suggests a potential problem with the RAID controller or drivers. (The iastore.sys driver file is part of Intel Matrix Storage Manager.) 

My confidence in the XPS M1730 is low, and my impression that I have purchased a lemon is getting stronger. I have requested a return with credit to purchase another system.

Benchmark Results

• Hey LumberingLaptop, I have not heard from you for a while. Still having the issue with boot failures? Has Dell done anything for you?

I just posted info on forum notebookreview dot com that might interest you. The threads are 331887 and 179479.

I have the WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB SATA II HDD's (2) in my machine. Since it was brand new there have been issues with the boot sector/master boot record dropping out of sight for the bios. "No boot device found. Strike F1 to continue" is burned into my brain forever. This problem comes and goes randomly. Could be twice a day, or a week to 10 days between boot failures. Starting the machine with the Dell MediaDirect button will always load Vista (even though no part of MediaDirect is on my system). MediaDirect loads Vista with only one of my GeForce 8700m GT cards disabled. Once loaded, I use EasyBCD to repair the MBR and it's fixed, albeit temporary.

Dell replaced my motherboard and it did not resolve the problem. All tests run on the drives show zero problems. I have run the drives in RAID 0 and non-RAID configurations trying to fix this. Dell had me make some changes in the bios and that did nothing. The tech support person I was working with was supposed to send out new drives for me to try. Nothing ever came of it. Even though I had a tracking number that did not work, Dell "has no record" of anyone agreeing to send me replacement drives.

Tech support wanted me to reinstall the OS. When I explained I had already tried that multiple times, including a clean install (not a restore from image), they wanted me to try it AGAIN. (What was that definition for insanity? Expecting a different outcome?) Clearly, the people I needed help from don't know what is wrong and they are ignoring me it seems. I called in twice and was told they would research the matter and get back to me. Last attempt to get support was roughly two months ago. It seems apparent that they don't care.

After installing Ubuntu Desktop within Windows, this problem has not resurfaced. I am wondering if there is a timing issue where the computer is wanting to rock and roll before the drives feel like waking up. Maybe having more than one OS in Vista's BCD causes enough delay for the drives to get spun up? I don't know. All I know is I expected a lot more for my $4k contribution to Dell than what I have received.

-------

Edit 01-11-2009: Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Installing Ubuntu and using grub as the boot loader did not fix the problem. Although, it does seem to occur with less frequency than it does using Vista's boot loader.

Benchmark Results

• I recently bought a Latitude E6500 that also has the RAID controller and I have pretty much the same issue -- "No boot device found. Strike F1 to continue" is occuring now and then upon boot.

While I've installed the drivers for the controller when re-imaging, I'm not using the RAID options, although I would like to try this.

I've noticed when I have the applet for the Matrix Controller open, it refreshes the drives shown every few seconds. I wonder if this is normal. Makes me think something's not right with the RAID controller ROM.

Latitude E6500

Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit/Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit/XP Pro SP 3 32-bit

• I just finished a chat session with Dell Support and they are sending me a new pair of hard drives and new cables to see if that will resolve the issue. I have run the system in RAID 0 and standard SATA/AHCI and the problem exists both ways. The motherboard has already been replaced under warranty. I am skeptical the drives are bad because I ran all of the PSA (Pre-boot System Assessment) diagnostics and there were no error messages.

I have restored the Vista Ultimate x86 (32 bit) from the drive image, replaced it with Vista Ultimate x64 and reinstalled twice from DVD. I then deleted all partitions, including the hidden EISA partition for MediaDirect, created new partitions, reformatted. No luck. Problem returned. I then eliminated the RAID 0 configuration, deleted and rebuilt partitions, reformatted and reinstalled from DVD. Still no luck. Problem returned. I have tried the installations with and without the Intel Matrix Manager software and it made no difference. I also installed the "F6" drivers (iastore.sys) from a thumb drive during the initial file copying stages of the Vista reinstallation the last time. No improvement.

I recommend you contact Dell about it if you have not already done so. Before calling or initiating a chat session, you might want to run the PSA tests and record any error messages you might receive. (They may ask you to do this, so this will save you time by doing it before you call.) Running the entire series of tests will take an hour or more. Part of the way through you may be prompted that no errors were found and asked if you want to complete all of the remaining tests. Answer yes to that prompt. If your E6500 bios supports the tests the same as my M1730, the instructions are below.

To run the Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA) diagnostics and obtain the PSA Error code, perform the following steps:

1.   Shutdown the computer.

2.   Press and hold the <Fn> key, then press and release the power button. Release the <Fn> key when the lock lights above the keyboard begin to Flash or Diagnostic boot selected is displayed in the upper right corner of the Screen.

3.   The PSA diagnostics sequence begins.  After approximately 2 minutes the system produces a number of alert tones.  After the alert tones, the system may produce either a series of low beeps or Error codes.

4.  Make note of the sequence of beeps (how many, and whether long or short tones) in the beep codes or any error code numbers.

Good luck to you.

Benchmark Results

• How do I run the Pre=Boot Assessment?

During my chat session in October, Dell said the next BIOS update would fix it.  They thought it would be a month or so.  That would have been December.

I have two other issues with my machine (aside from issues with software from different vendors): the TV card, and the BluRay drive.  It would be nice if Dell would just come out and resolve it rather than takinmg time with a la cart chat sessions that lead no where.

• BJFox

I3.   The PSA diagnostics sequence begins.  After approximately 2 minutes the system produces a number of alert tones.  After the alert tones, the system may produce either a series of low beeps or Error codes.

4.  Make note of the sequence of beeps (how many, and whether long or short tones) in the beep codes or any error code numbers.

So we're down to counting beeps and discerning whether they are long or short beeps.   I was waiting for them to come through with the BIOS update they promised back in October.  THey made it sound like it would be mid-December at the latest.

Thanks Fox.

• The new bios (A10) was released for the XPS M1730 in the last month. I installed the bios update it without problems. There was no visible difference except for the bios revision number changing from A09 to A10.

My boot failure issue continues to be a source of aggravation. Dell has replaced the pair of hard drives twice. Now Dell is wanting to replace the motherboard a second time.

My patience is wearing thin.

Benchmark Results

• BJFox

The new bios (A10) was released for the XPS M1730 in the last month. I installed the bios update it without problems. There was no visible difference except for the bios revision number changing from A09 to A10.

My boot failure issue continues to be a source of aggravation. Dell has replaced the pair of hard drives twice. Now Dell is wanting to replace the motherboard a second time.

My patience is wearing thin.

I was disappointed with A10 on two accounts.  First, I had to discover it was available on my own.  I get the Technical Updates, but I received no email on this one.  (Being that this machine was custom built, Dell has it's serial number, and should therefore know it's components, I don't know why they can't tailor these messages to my machine.  We have the technology for this.)  The second disappointment was that this did not solve the problem.

I've run the Pre-Boot Assessment three times now.  The main tests complete, the screen tests complete, the memory tests complete, and then it craps out after the "Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition" prompt. 

My next step is to request Dell to come out and fix this and my two other vestigial problems (the BluRay drive and the TV adapter).  Their service seems very ordinary.  One department doesn't' seem to be able to coordinate with another.  If it were a car, it would be analogous to my mechanic saying "Did you get the transmission out?  Ok.  What did the fluid look like?  Is it translucent?  Is it reddish?  If it is reddish, you probably should change it, put the transmission back, and see if that helps keep it from slipping.   Is there anything else I can do for you today?"   YES!!! You could honor your service agreement  fix it!  I'm glad my personal relationships aren't like this.

• I have the BluRay drive, but don't own any BluRay discs. I should rent one and see what issues are present.

I have never tested my TV adapter card. I guess I had better do that, too.

I should have gone with my gut instinct and asked for a refund the first week I had this unit. If the Dell Tech (Customer Resolution Level 5) I am working with now does not resolve my problem with the boot failure, I am going to look into contacting my credit card company (Discover) to see if I can put in a dispute with them and return it for a refund. (This was the advice the local "in home" support tech gave me when he was out for the second time replacing things that were not fixing my problem.)

I second your comment about being glad my personal relationships are not like this. That would be horrible, for sure.

Benchmark Results

• I know it's been a while since anyone has updated this thread but I just started having this problem.

Are there any solutions by any chance?

**History**

About two months ago I rebooted my XPS m1730 and all I got was a blank screen, Dell eventually replaced the motherboard and video card. After the swap everything was running great!

About 4-6 weeks after the hardware swaps I decided that I was going to upgrade the OEM Samsung SSD to an Intel X-25M 80GB SSD Drive. All went as planned, I imaged the Samsung SSD onto the Intel SSD and I was off to the races. After imaging I rebooted a few times and everything was OK.

I used the computer for about a week and it had zero issues (during the week I never rebooted however), I then left for vacation for three weeks, while I was away everything was OK, I even used Remote Desktop Connection from 3K miles away.

Upon returning, I noticied the computer was REALLY slow, eventually I decided to reboot and upon the first reboot I got the 'No bootable devices strike F1 to retry' and beeps. If I pressed F1 it booted but once I got into Windows the same slow speed continued. I tried repairing, 'last known good configuration' and eventually decided it would be quicker to simply re-image the drive.

After re-imaging everything was back to normal, no more beeps or F1 message and Windows was responsive, I even purposly rebooted a few times and everything was OK. I thought 'GREAT, problem solved'!

About a week later I rebooted to take another hard drive image and to my surprise I got the same beeps and error message but this time if I pressed F1 Windows wasn't slow; the messaged continued but Windows was responsive.

The computer has now been up for another week and at least while in Windows there has been zero issues, again I haven't rebooted.

As an exercise I'm thinking that I might put the old Samsung SSD back in and see what happens, I'll report back.

Any ideas? There are so many possibilities, the SSD, motherboard, AC Adapter, power strip, wall outlet.

I'll be sure and try to eliminate things and report back.

Thanks!

• If this suggestion answers your question or leads to a solution, please click the green "Yes" button in the bottom of this post. _________________________________________________________________________________________

Benchmark Results

• Hey, sorry to hear you are having this issue. As you can see from all of my older posts on this thread, I am all too familiar with it. I had regular SATA drivers and not an SSD, but the same issue.

Dell never could fix this problem, and there were other issues they could not fix. After rebuilding my first M1730 more than once, they sent me a new one. It was better for a while, but then it started having issues they could not fix. Dell eventually gave me a new Alienware M17X R2 as a replacement and I could not be happier. It is a much better machine.

Thanks goodness I purchased the Dell Complete Care 4 year warranty. I still have about 2 more years left on that which transferred to the M17X.

If you machine is still under warranty, start using it and maybe you will get yours replaced with the better M17X like I did.

Benchmark Results