Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 not working

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 not working

• I have just installed a wireless system (Linksys WRT54G2) and discover that my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (that I have never previously tested) does not respond. Intel PROSet/Wireless presents a message "....Software was unable to detect a supported wireless adapter. Please install a supported adapter."

The System\Device Manager shows no wireless in "network adapters" but has a "network controller" under the yellow? "Other devices". The Device Instance ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4220&SUBSYS_07218086&REV_05\4&2FA23535&0&18F0. The device status is "This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)".

I have downloaded drivers from the Dell site (R155386) and from Intel (12.0.4.0_X_Drivers). During installation, after Intel PROSet Driver Installer opens, there is a message "Problem found during hardware installation" then a series of messages "Adapter Problem: driver not installed"

Sometime over a year ago the "Found new hardware" message began popping up whenever the laptop was turned on. I never tried to identify the problem as it appeared not to affect performance of utilities that I used. This might have been when the problem developed.

The BIOS appears to have wireless in the default ON setting.

How can I tell whether this is a software or hardware problem and what is the fix? If I need to replace the 2200 what is a current compatible replacement (preferably internal) adapter that will work well with the Linksys WRT54G2?

System (from invoice):

Inspiron 6000D, Pentium M Processor 725

Windows XP Home

Boadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.1 1b/g) internal wireless

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• The driver for your wireless card did not get installed. Some cards are picky in that you need to install the drivers first; then reboot; then install the card. Check what your card says. It is important to read the instructions.

my Dells:
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7 / Ubuntu 12.04
    Latitude D620 - XP Pro SP3
    Precision M6300 - Windows 7

• Afraid that I don't understand. The Intel PRO/wireless 2200 came installed in the laptop. Not sure how to check what the card says.

I ran the Intel PRO/set "Manual Diagnostics Tool" and the Hardware Test Failed with a test summary: "Wireless hardware not present". However the Device Manager does show the wireless as noted in my original post.