Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Studio - Jammed Touch Sensitive Eject Button

• Well, time will show. It could be that the reason of your problem. Seems that Studios are very sensitive with electrical problems...

• hi...OK..so I have a 1535 running A06 BIOS. What my laptop was doing was upon startup, from hibernation or from a complete shutdown, media lights would flash from right to left (I think), the computer would go through its process of resuming Windows, then the eject light would turn on, stay on, this eliminating any use of the other media console buttons. Then, within a minute or so, the DVD drive eject motor would start ejecting, or trying to, eject a disc..no disc is in the drive. It would do this eject thing 4 or 5 times in a row, then stop, then the computer would be ready to use. All media buttons function, DVD drive works properly,,everything works..it just goes through that weird eject procedure first. Well..after chatting with Dell..their first advice was to remove media console and re-seat, making sure wires etc are clear of everything. If that didn't work they were going to send a tech out and replace said media cover and the actual optical drive.  So..I did the re-seat thing...also from advice from this forum..unplugged AC, took out battery, help power button for 30 seconds, replaced battery and AC power..also...I went into power management and turned the Hybrid Sleep off. Not sure if any of this actually did anything but I have been eject problem free for 2 days now!! When I resume from hibernation...the lights light up, disc eject does just one eject and the eject light stays off...its great! This also could be a premature post. I will keep informed on this. If problem comes back, i will try the firmware update. Thanks for all the advice in this forum...its been great...

• Regarding that firmware update..... after months of searching for this once-dell-official-but-not-anymore fix, I finally found it.   I ran it and it flashed the bios...... no none of my media keys work!!!!!!!    Has this ever hapoened to anyone?   Does anyone know what I should do?    I doubt I can go back to the old firmware.   Thanks in advance.

• Soul,

Try shutting down then removing the battery and unplugging the A/C adapter.  Hold the power button down for about 30 seconds then reconnect everything and power up (you will have to update system time).

If that doesn't resolve it then it's possible something went wrong during flashing and you should startover by burning a new disc from the iso.

You can download it from HERE

I've been hosting that file on my server since Dell gave it to me earlier this year.  It's really a shame that they haven't posted it on the support site.  Dell-BillB said something about how this may have been due to fears of possible new problems when they were testing it.  Though I don't know how they would justify not just fixing whatever bugs they found and posting a new revision.  

• THANKS!   I will try this later tonight.   Will post results later or tomorrow.

• That worked.  I have my media keys back..... but I still have the original problem in that the eject key does nothing.

• Ok...so been about a week since I had an issue with the eject button/light and the drive trying to eject a disc. So far its been like a normal laptop..its strange and nice. I am really not sure if the Hybrid Sleep has anything to do with it..but give it a shot if you have the same issues I had.

• Its been about 2 months since my last post. In late October I flashed the firmware and all the problems I had with media control buttons, fatal blue screen at boot up, constant beeping at boot up, etc. are all gone. I also upgraded to Windows 7 which was flawless. My laptop has not had one issue in 2 months but before the flash it was a mess. I am so grateful for the firmware update, it gave me the laptop I paid for. My wife about a month ago purchased a Studio 1745 with Windows 7 and has not had any issues. We were not sure after all the issues we had with my laptop if we would even purchase from Dell again but we decided to try another laptop. I just feel sorry for people who have a laptop with the media control button issues or other similar problems and no posted fix from Dell. There are probably alot of people out there who have not followed the forums and maybe even gave up on the issue or do not have the time to spend hours on the phone with tech support.

• I am SO SO angry with DELL.  I bought my Studio17 laptop last week and I've just found the problem of CD eject no working properly. Finally got it out by going to E drive right click and eject but that cant continue.   I've been looking at this forum and others and I'm seeing Dell have had this problem since at least Aug 08. WHY ARE DELL STILL SELLING LAPTOPS WITH AN 18 MONTH OLD PROBLEM? How long do they need to make a CD eject apps work?  I haven't even stated to try to find out why the media buttons are all staying on.    Do I want a new laptop? NO  I just spent ages loading my files and setting this one up. Do I want to spend ages with Tech Support? NO who is going to pay me my time to do that.  I want Dell to stop selling laptops with known problems. It's not fair to expect me or any other customers to spend hours fixing their problems.  AAAAGHHH I'm turning this box of rubbish off and going for a beer. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the will power to start on the Tech Support in a kinder frame of mind.   Am I being unreasonable?

• You are not being unreasonable. I had no idea there are still laptops coming off the line with the same issues. I have been told if you have not had your laptop more than 21 days you can return it for a full refund but I know thats not what you want to do. I feel for your pain, I know where you are coming from because i had same issues with my Dell Studio 1535.

Attention Bill from tech support, I hope you can point comp17 in the right direction for his issues.

• hi every body i tried to download the firmware but all links are ( dead )  ,so i hope any one help me by new link and thx

• I installed this firmware flash and it worked perfectly.  All of the touch controls seem to work as they should. By the way I am NOT a IT guy. So if I can do this anybody can. Just follow the steps listed.

• Thanks krypebud.....I applied the fix over a week ago and since then I havent had a single problem with my eject button (ejecting 5 times by itself after turn on) 

Thanks man!

• I had similar problem with media panel on my studio 1735 laptop. Eject CD button is not working.

So, I couldn't resist to apply this firmware, and now, some media buttons (stop,pause.. ) are completely dead.

Only volume control buttons are working.

Does anyone have some idea, how to restore media panel to previous state (factory default), or is there some other solution how to get media panel working correctly on studio 17 series?

Thanks.

• DusanG

I had similar problem with media panel on my studio 1735 laptop. Eject CD button is not working.

So, I couldn't resist to apply this firmware, and now, some media buttons (stop,pause.. ) are completely dead.

Only volume control buttons are working.

Does anyone have some idea, how to restore media panel to previous state (factory default), or is there some other solution how to get media panel working correctly on studio 17 series?

Thanks.

I am not sure, but this fix is supposed to be working only with 15 series. Anyway, did you follow the instructions? If not, try to re apply the fix. Otherwise, you should contact Dell and ask for a media panel replacement.