Need Help. c400 system restore

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Need Help. c400 system restore

• Hello,
    I just got a corporate dell c400. It has no OS but I have a restore disc for it.  The laptop has no cd drive so how can i use the disk to do a restore. I have an external cd drive but its not a dell drive. Can I use that to do the restore?  If so how?  Also I have a network, is there someway that I can boot up on to the network and utilize my cd drive on my desktop?

Thanks

Louis
  • If the external CD Drive is USB it should work. If the PC without the CD Rom Drive can be set to boot from a network source, it should be able to do it, but it may take some manipulation / configuration to get it working. best bet is the external CD Drive. Of course your PC must be able to boot from USB.

pcgeek11
  • My laptop doesnt boot up from USB. Any other ideas on how I can do this?
  • If it is a bootable OS installation restore disk ( In other words an OEM OS installation disk ). If you have a floppy drive, try this: Make a bootable DOS Win98 ... floppy disk with network support, on your desktop PC share the CD Rom Drive, copy the contents of the CD to the hard disk of the laptop. Then start set-up from the setup.exe in the i386 folder.

You could also get an adapter to remove the hard disk from the laptop, use a 40 to 44 pin adapter and slave the disk in your desktop to copy the files from the CD onto the laptop drive, reinstall the drive back into the laptop, then boot from a floppy disk and run set-up from within the i386 folder.

pcgeek11
  • Thanks. SOunds good but I dont have a floppy drive on this laptop either.  Anything else I could do.  Any way I can copy the cd to the hdd and not use the floppy to make it boot?
  • Well, do you have a floppy in the desktop? If yes do this...

Get the 40 to 44 pin adapter here is an example:

Install the notebook HD in your desktop as a primary drive ( disconnecting the desktop drive )

Boot from a floppy disk that has CD Rom support ( Win98 Boot Disk )

Using Fdisk create a new partition on the notebook drive and then Format it as FAT32 you can always convert it to NTFS later.

Reboot with the floppy again so the system will see the new partition.

Copy the boot system from the A drive to the notebook drive with the command " sys c ".

Then make an i386 directory on the C drive " md c:\i386 ".

Copy the contents of the CD i386 folder to the hard disk i386 folder. " copy d:\i386\*.* to c:\i386\ ".

Then reinstall the drive back into the notebook, boot it from the hard disk and run " winnt.exe " from the i386 directory on the hard drive, " c:\i386\winnt.exe ".

That should get you going...

pcgeek11