Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

• any other clues?
  • yes... thank you

the original post is

and reads:

have an Inspiron 600m

This post concerns device error:  This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.
    Now, if you want to take the field trip on how I got here, read on. If not, just skip to the bottom and read what steps HAVE been taken to troubleshoot this error.

Ok, all was just wonderful and going along nicely when all of a sudden, XP SP2 updated my computer and (thank you Microsoft) things went south.

I plugged in my Digital Video Camera and behold, it wouldn't work. So, I checked device manager and, you'll never guess what was there. That's right. The yellow exclamation point of complete frustration, which (BTW) wasn't there before SP2 update.

I've spent about 3 weeks trying to figure this out. I've contacted Microsoft but I don't have XX.XX amount of dollars for them to help me. (You'd think they'd be quite happy to offer help since there was no problem BEFORE  their update).

I contacted Dell Tech support. Sigh. Since I'm here begging (and I do mean BEGGING) for help, nothing more needs to be said. 

I contacted the manufacture of the card...and bless their hearts, the went above and beyond the call of (corporate) responsibility. The have sent me a new card (which was a usb/ieee combo card). No luck. They sent me a different card (still a combo, but a newer version) Still no luck. Bless them, they even offered me a different solution and sent me a IEEE 1394 card (not a combo) AND a new 4 slot USB hub. They did this ALL on thier dollar.

Well, much to my surprise...the error remains.

Here's what it's not:
    It's not the card - I plugged the card into a Tosheba laptop and the card works just fine. (and, no, just using the tosheba is not an option. It's not my computer)

It's not the port - when I start windows in safe mode, the card is recognized and there are no conflicts.

Here's whats been done:
    "If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."
    Disabled devices:
          modem - I never use it
          Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller

Now if any of you kind souls can find it in their heart to help this old woman out, I'd sure be grateful.
  • don't know if this will be of any assistance, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222