Screen Dimming

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Screen Dimming

•  I just purchased an Inspiron 1505 in March 2006. It was working perfrectly until 2 days ago. Whenever I am plugged in to an outlet, the screen dims a minute or two after I boot the machine up. It intermittently will brighten up and re-dim. It mainly stays dim though, and working on it is out of the question. I have gone into the Quickset and changed the properties. Does anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden this is happening or what I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Skullie

I have an Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Duo Proceeor T2300 (2MB,1.665GHz/667MHz)

• If you're getting an intermittent connection at the AC connector it may be switching between AC and battery. It would dim slightly each time it goes to battery.

It might be time to call or chat with Dell support.

Dave
  • Before you call support run Dell Diagnostics to test and eliminate hardware as the cause.

Here's a little quick test While hooked up to AC power,dimmed out defective video,hold down the Fn key while pushing the up arrow key.This bypasses WinXP, the display should brighten,if it does suspect software but run Dell Diagnostics anyway.If it has no effect it's hardware and the best case scenario is your AC power adapter/charger is failing.

Running Diagnostics Boot into WinXP while connected to AC power shut down with restart quickly hold down F12 key,down arrow/enter diagnostics,after preboot assessment diagnostics loads/runs,press any key to enter Diagnostics,do Express test,Custom go down the list hitting every test,if you still get no failures do Extended which takes a few hours.Hopefully the battery test which covers the charger will fail/error.Make log of your tests,any failures and error codes.

Calling support with this info will resolve your problem faster.

• Yeah, I would say AC adapter problem or ac adapter plug in on your  computer.  Double check that your AC adapter is fully plugged in at the transformer also. 

Message Edited by Mcoffman on 06-13-200608:15 PM

• Skullie wrote:

I just purchased an Inspiron 1505 in March 2006. It was working perfrectly until 2 days ago. Whenever I am plugged in to an outlet, the screen dims a minute or two after I boot the machine up. It intermittently will brighten up and re-dim. It mainly stays dim though, and working on it is out of the question. I have gone into the Quickset and changed the properties. Does anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden this is happening or what I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Skullie

I have an Inspiron E1505, Intel Core Duo Proceeor T2300 (2MB,1.665GHz/667MHz)

I am still having the dimming problem, but now it is happening regardless if the laptop is plugged in or not. A day ago the monitor was fine and today I can not get the brightness at all. I have tried the Fn and arrow key, changed the settings and nothing is happening. I tried the restart and pressing the F12 key to go to the diagnosis and nothing happened. I am very interested in running the diagnosis, either the extended or the express, can someone tell me why I can not get it to work?

Thank you all for your replies

Skullie
  • Okay, I finally got to the diagnosis screen and ran both the expres and the full scan and there were no errors reported. All day so far my screen is dimmed. I have changed the settings to go to full brightness and nothing is happening. Any other suggestions?

Skullie
  • I recently had the same problem, my screen would almost go black.  I checked with a computer tech. and the solution for me was the wiring harness going to the screen.  I had to lean the screen back and pop off the plastic cover surrounding the power buttons with a small flat screwdriver,  underneath the blue flat wiring harness was unplugged from the screen.   Seems like this is an ongoing problem with certain laptops, especially after opening and closing the screen multiple times, it is a tight fit and eventually works loose.  Hope this helps!
  • You know, it is very interesting that you are having a similiar problem, there are times when I would move the screen to a certain position and the screen would brighten, but it wouldn't last long. When you moved it again, forget it. I was online and on the phone with dell and they had me ship it back to them and they are going to replace the LCD. I will have to remember your solution in case it happens in the future.

thanks for your repsonse.