Inspiron 9100 running hot and loud

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 9100 running hot and loud

• A few months ago I started to notice that my Inspiron 9100's fan was running a lot louder than what it usually is. This would continue even when there were no visible programs running on my system.

I've also noticed that my computer get's hotter now than what it normally did when I first recieved my computer.

To give an example, when I first bought my computer it would run very quietly with nothing running on it, naturally the fan would get louder if I were to say start up a computer game. When I closed out of the game the fan would slow down and my computer would again run quietly. Now whenever I start up my computer(even in Safe Mode, and Diagnostic Mode) the fan immediately starts running as if I were playing a computer game and never stops running that loudly.

Originally I thought the problem was being caused by a virus on my computer. I've spent the last month ruling out a virus, spyware, adware, trojan horses, or other malware as the reason for this problem. The fact that I still notice the problem when I start in Safe Mode is one reason I don't think that malware is the reason, and the fact that I've used the following programs to clean out my computer of all malware is the other. So far the list is this

Norton Antivirus 2004(came with computer)
    Norton Internet Security 2004(came with computer)
    Adaware SE Professional
    Spybot S+D
    Hyjackthis
    CCleaner
    TrojanHunter
    Ad-Watch SE Professional
    Free Online Scan from TrendMicro.com

I've used/use all these programs and browsed numerous web-help forums and I now believe that I'm clean from all forms or computer viruses.

So I'm turning to you guys for help, any insight you can give as to the reason for this change in performance would be greatly appreciated.
  • this is kinda like my problem, i too am wondering what the problem is.

i have temporarily alleviated the problem by propping up the laptop off my desk about an inch by putting random objects underneathe it.

seems to help with cooling and causes the fans to come on less
  • I would consider trying that, but with my fan, it will come on at a high speed when I first startup my computer, and stay on at the same speed until I shut it down. If I run a game or something the fan goes to an even higher speed.
  • My 9100 also runs very hot. In fact the PSU is worse. It runs so hot you can smell it overheating.

I dare not leave the room while it is running for fear that it will set on fire. I wonder if these are grounds for having the machine and power supply investigated by Dell?

I wonder if this is a design fault, or just poor components, or just me being unlucky, though by the sound of it I'm not the only one.

• maybe the room temperature is to hot to run computer
  • The room is not too hot.
    My 9200, M60, X300 all cope perfectly well.
    The 9100 is a home PC and should not need a chilled air con room.
    Certainly the power supply should not be too hot to touch.

• lee_hacken wrote:
    maybe the room temperature is to hot to run computer

My laptop is kept in an air conditioned dorm room, or an air conditioned house. So room temp never goes to far about 75 F.

While I'm still worried about the heat problem, I really want to know why my fan is so loud all the time. I'm guessing they might be caused by the same problem i.e Computer is hot so fan has to run loudly all the time) or maybe I'm wrong.

If it helps at all, right now my laptop says it has 46 processes running. CPU usage moves around a bit, but never goes above 5%.
  • Remove the two fans on the bottom and check how must dust are on the heat sinks. The heat sinks can become easily clogged with dust.  There are two screws for each fan are that are easily removeable. It doesn't hurt to check. You might be surprised.

• OIIIIIIIO wrote:
    Remove the two fans on the bottom and check how must dust are on the heat sinks. The heat sinks can become easily clogged with dust. There are two screws for each fan are that are easily removeable. It doesn't hurt to check. You might be surprised.

That did it, my 9100 no longer sounds like a rocket engine whenever I start it up, and it's definately running a lot cooler. It didn't seem like that much dust was in there when I was cleaning it out, but I guess it only takes a bit.

Thanks so much :)