Activate external monitor for BIOS? (Inspiron 7500)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Activate external monitor for BIOS? (Inspiron 7500)

• Hello,

the LCD of my I7500 just died. I'll check on that later... For now I connected an external monitor. It works normally -- when Windows (2000) is running. While in the POST and BIOS areas, the external monitor is dead.

I tried the Fn-F8 thingy, but that works only from the moment Windows is running. I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to enable the exernal monitor during POST/BIOS?

2) If not, can I at least make the Fn-F8 selection sticky? As it is, I have to hit Fn-F8 on every boot to see the Windows start-up screen. If I don't hit Fn-F8, the image on the external monitor becomes only visible quite late in the boot process; probably around the time when the video driver is loaded and the image with the final resolution gets shown. All the text mode or low-res screens are not shown.

Thanks,
    Gerhard
  • afaik you cannot enable the external monitor during POST/BIOS as as you rightly said it is a Windows thing.
    As for your second question, you should be able to make the external monitor your primary monitor by looking in display properties> settings.
  • On the Main BIOS page -First- there is a line entry for Video Display Device with three options, LCD, External Monitor(?) and Simultaneous Mode for both. It is probably set for LCD only. Try Alt+F during bootup to reset the BIOS to default settings, as that is Simultaneous mode for the Video Display Device

Message Edited by leduke30 on 06-26-2005 08:20 PM

• Thanks, I knew about the BIOS option. My problem is that I can't see the BIOS setup screen -- as I said, my LCD is dead, and it's not coming on the external monitor, so I'm in a kind of catch-22 :)

I guess what I am looking for is some way to enable that without seeing it. One way would be to know the exact key sequence... but then, this may depend on the BIOS version? Another way could be a Windows program that edits the BIOS configs. I think I've seen that on some computers. Or some other way I don't know about yet...

Any ideas how I could enable this without seeing the BIOS screens?

Thannks for any help...

Gerhard
  • Yes, as I said in the previous post, start repeatedly pressing Alt+F when the bootup starts, to reset to BIOS Defaults, which will be for simutaneous mode, and that should allow your external monitor to work. 

There is another possibility; after turn on, wait about 10 seconds and then start tapping F2. When the computer beeps, that means POST is over and you should be into BIOS on the MAIN screen even though you can't see it. Pressing F9 when there should reset to BIOS Defaults, wait a few seconds, then press F10 to Save and Exit and then Enter, then reboot. You realize this is flying blind and it may not work, but let us hope for the best.

Message Edited by leduke30 on 06-26-2005 09:59 PM

• "There is another possibility; after turn on, wait about 10 seconds and then start tapping F2. When the computer beeps, that means POST is over and you should be into BIOS on the MAIN screen even though you can't see it. Pressing F9 when there should reset to BIOS Defaults, wait a few seconds, then press F10 to Save and Exit and then Enter, then reboot. You realize this is flying blind and it may not work, but let us hope for the best."

Yes, I realized that, that's why I asked for help here... Even though I knew about these options, I hoped that there was a less "blind" one :)

It turned out that the correct sequence was something like F9 - Enter - F10 - Enter (after entering the BIOS setup). The exact sequence I used was a bit different, with several beeps in between :) Apparently there are confirmation messages that need to be acknowledged.

Anyway, it worked. Thanks for helping.
  • I have to salute you on your perseverance in this matter.
  • Well, re perseverance... The next step will be to see whether I can get the LCD back working. (No warranty anymore...)

It seems that probably the backlighting is the culprit. Before it went black, the image was kind of changing the light intensity up and down. But that's for another forum :) -- and I don't have time right now, so the external monitor will have to do it for a while.
  • You will find it will cost more to replace the backlight than it will for a complete LCD assembly working pull. Unless you can get the exact same model/type screen, do not try to replace just the screen. There were several different screens, cables and inverters used with this model and incomptiblity reigns supreme. Also there is a small LVDS circuit board with at least 2 different types to further confuse the matter. Good luck when you try it
  • Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look into the price for a complete LCD assembly replacement. I was hoping that I could maybe /fix/ the backlight inverter rather than replace it (if that's what's broken).
  • I will send you a private message by the service at the top of this screen.
  • I had this problem too.

The LCD of my Dell Latitude D620 crashed, i wanted to format it, and i thought i couldn't access BIOS trough the external monitor.

I made hours of research on internet and finally achieved it, by hitting F2 t the boot. Then i pressed Fn+F8, and the BIOS menu showed up in the external monitor.