Mic isn't working for Inspiron 4150

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Mic isn't working for Inspiron 4150

• The microphone for inspiron 4150 isn't working properly. Recently, I try the internal mic that I never use before but it refuse to function. So, I went to the control panel then go to sound and audio devices to have a 'Hardware Test' under the 'Voice'. I follow the testing wizard, I use both internal and external mic to test and it works find in the process. After the test was done, I speak through the mic (internal and external) but no sound come out from the speakers. The speaker is working good.

There is no microphone slider in volume control, so I go to 'properties' under the 'Option' and found that there isn't a microphone option for me to choose.

Please help me to solve this problem, thank you very much

• Hi

Click start -> search box which is at the bottom below the All Programs type microphone and then you will have find and fix the audio problems there you can follow the onscreen instructions.

It might be the microphone volume is low or Right click on Volume icon at the task bar and select playback device. You will get new window and lookup for the microphone option, you can manually increase the volume. Its no were related to the regular volume increase/decrease option.

To confirm the functionality please click -> start-> search box type recorder click on the sound recorder. That will show you the status of microphone meter. If it works that will show you green bar goes across the meter. which means microphone is working.

Thanks

Dell- Carrie

• Hello-Carrie and welcome to the Laptop Audio discussion board. Your input and thoughts are welcome but you probably did not notice that the original post in this thread  is 9 years old. I did not answer at the time because that was a year or so before I joined the board.

CarrieSobers
    It might be the microphone volume is low or Right click on Volume icon at the task bar and select playback device.

The problem that the poster had was that he could not hear the mic through the speakers, and when he went to the Sound Playback panel there was no volume control. There would have been a volume control on the Sound Recording panel but it would only have increased the recording volume but not affected the lack of sound through the speakers. He wrote:

"I speak through the mic (internal and external) but no sound come out from the speakers.... There is no microphone slider in volume control, so I go to 'properties' under the 'Option' and found that there isn't a microphone option for me to choose."

That was all quite normal. The reason that there was no microphone signal through the speakers is that the Dell laptops were factory configured to mute mic playback, in order to eliminate the possibility of feedback from the speakers nearby the mic. To overcome this limitation required an edit of the settings in the Windows Registry. This is explained in more detail in the Input Monitoring FAQ.

If interested there are several other Laptop Audio FAQ's which explain some of the common issues.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member