Alienware M17x Sound stops working.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Alienware M17x Sound stops working.

This question is not answered

Hi,

So randomly when I open my laptop up and it's been in sleep mode the audio stops working.  Scrolling the mouse over the speaker icon says "No device driver installed" or something along those lines.  A simple restart of the laptop has always fixed it.  I have only owned the laptop since the end of September and bought it brand new, and it's been doing this randomly since day 1.  Tonight was different though, restarting the computer did not fix the issue.  Tried restarting 4 or 5 times but still did not work.  Also the problem never occurs unless the computer goes into sleep mode.  If the audio is working when I am using the computer it will remain working and does not just turn off while I am using the computer.

Things I tried tonight:

Re installed driver from Dell website, restarted - Didn't work

Ran the BIOS5 which I found as a possible solution in a different thread on this forum, restarted - Didn't work.

Looked in my audio device properties in the control panel while the problem was going on and it just said "No audio device installed".

So finally I shut the computer off for a while, and then it started working when I fired it up just now.  So as of right now it's working but I wonder for how long.  Any ideas on what else I can do or should I be looking into a warranty repair/replacement issue here?

All Replies
  • I don't know if it is hardware or software related. I would have thought the BIOS but  you tried that. Next time it happens check the Audio Service. Go to Start>Run and type "services.msc" (without quotes) then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running. If it isn't, double click on it and change the Startup type to Automatic, then click Start, Apply, and OK. If it stops in the future even when set to automatic then I would be suspicious of a problem with Windows itself.

That is all I can think of. Suggest that you post on the Alienware Club discussion board and be sure to tell them that you already have posted on the Laptop Audio board or else they might just send you back here. In the meantime you might get a better answer from someone else on this board.

en.community.dell.com/.../default.aspx

It will be helpful for them if you say the exact model name of your laptop if it is not  the original M17x, for example M17x R2, R3, or R4.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member