speaker problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

speaker problem

This question is not answered

Hello.  Inspiron 1545 that my kids use has some problems.  They report that sometimes they get no sound, usually when in the youtube.  They are smart enough to play around with the sound controls, but they come to me, and when I try the sound, it works. 

But more serious is volume controls.  Going from mute or low sound to loud, I hear crackling sound.  But once the volume is set, there is no noise or listening problems.  The volume control also does not want to stop where I want it.  The volume usually goes all the way to max or to minimum if I kept the pressure on the button.  The volume does not stop when I take the finger off the button.  I have to start again by gingerly tapping on the button until the volume is where I want it.

I changed the key board for some other problem, but the sound problem is still there.  Is this a problem that is in the mother board, or can I repair it with some parts?  I have already ordered new speakers before realizing I should ask first.

Thank you in advance.

All Replies
  • The only thing I can think of to do with software is to re-install the audio driver.

k1c
    Is this a problem that is in the mother board, or can I repair it with some parts?  I have already ordered new speakers before realizing I should ask first.

I would listen through headphones or external speakers. If you still get crackling and other symptoms at the headphone jack then replacing the speakers will not fix it.

You can run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. Any symptoms you hear during those tests are in the hardware.Or you can return the laptop to the original factory configuration. That will fix any software issues so remaining symptoms will be in the hardware.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member