IDT high definition audiot CODEC claims to be working but am getting "no audio device installed" under sound.

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

IDT high definition audiot CODEC claims to be working but am getting "no audio device installed" under sound.

This question is not answered

Help on this would be much appreciated!

I have a Dell inspiron 1545 with Vista os. My kitten ran across the keyboard and suddenly no sound! Under device manager the IDT high definition audiot CODEC claims to be working. But I have a red x on the lower right speaker icon. And under sound it says "no device installed". Any advice out there?

Thanks!

All Replies
  • I would try in this order

System Restore

Re-install audio driver

Dell Diagnostics

Details are in the "No Audio" FAQ

en.community.dell.com/.../19772968.aspx

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• System restore did not work due to "corrupted restore file" (perhaps something else I should worry about). But downloading driver updates from the Dell site did. Thanks for your help!

• I too am having a problem with the audio on a inspiron 1545 with Vista sp2. A friend of mine came to me with this laptop and told me the sound has stopped working. She doesn't quite remember when it started, she tells me a long time ago. I'm guessing when sp2 was installed or a audio driver update.The laptop uses a IDT high definition audio codec. Tested the laptop in Linux and the speakers/hardware do work. Ran the hardware diagnostics test and came up with no problems. I won't even attempt to do a system restore as the problem probably happened over a year ago.

I have tried installing the most recent up to date drivers from dell including the newest release on 02/07/2012 with no success. I have tried all the previous drivers I could find on Dell support and on the internet. I have uninstalled the the drivers in safe mode and rebooted. Windows finds the new hardware and installs it's own high definition driver, but that driver does nothing. I then unzip and install the IDT driver and reboot. Is there a conflict with the Windows driver and the IDT driver? How can I stop Windows from automatically finding new hardware and stop installing the generic audio driver? All Intel, Dell drivers are up to date including BIOS. I checked msconfig and all drivers a set to load at startup.

I'm getting a "Failed to Play test tone" in the sound properties. Device Manager states the device is working properly. When I open iTunes, I get a message saying there is a problem with the audio configuration and playback may not operate and a similar error message in windows media player. Songs don't even start to play at all according to the time bar. The battery is also shot, but I can't see how that could affect the audio.

• maxrr
    How can I stop Windows from automatically finding new hardware and stop installing the generic audio driver?

Any time there is no IDT driver folder within the the main Dell drivers folder, then Vista will install the basic HD audio driver. The audio should work okay with that driver but some of the features won't be available or work right. The fact that you have no audio with that driver even though there is not a hardware problem* suggests a problem in Windows. Is the Audio Service running?

maxrr
    Is there a conflict with the Windows driver and the IDT driver?

Not that I have ever heard of. When you install an IDT driver in the drivers folder then Vista will defer to it so there should be no conflict. If there is more than one IDT driver then Vista will opt for the newest.

*Have you tried listening through headphones to make sure there is also no audio at the jack?

• Thanks for the reply, jimco and I appreciate your help here. I have tried the headphone output and there is no audio out from it. The drivers do switch from speakers to headphones when I plug in the headphones, so I am pretty sure all hardware is working fine. I check the Windows audio service and it is started. I restarted the service, but still no audio.

I also tried the Microsoft fix it tool for sound and that as well did nothing. I'll start looking around Microsoft for a hotfix. I'm running out of ideas. Other then the sound and battery, the laptop is fine. I did a virus/malware scan before I started troubleshooting the sound. Scans came up clean.

• I would restore the laptop to the original factory configuration and test the audio immediately, before downloading anything or updating.  The restoration will fix whatever is wrong with the audio excepting hardware failure.

• She doesn't have the windows disk or probably did not receive one with the laptop. The laptop has it's own built in recovery system, and It gives me the option to repair the computer (F8), but it just boots into windows right after I choose the repair option.

• Request Backup Discs

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form