Sound only from Left speaker

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Sound only from Left speaker

This question is not answered

I just got a new Inspiron N5010 laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. When I first connected my external speakers (2.1 stereo) through the headphone jack I could only get sound from the left and right speaker but not the subwoofer.  I tried a few things but nothing worked so I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it.  Now all the sound only comes out of the left speaker.  I connected the speakers to my iPod and they all work fine.  The speakers on the laptop itself also seem to work fine. I've used the same speakers on other computers for several years with no issues. So I'm assuming it's some sort of setting or configuration through windows for the external speakers.  I tried headphones as well and only the left had sound too.

I've reinstalled the driver several times and still doesn't work.  I've gone into the configure settings and when I click on the test for left and right speakers, both come out of the left.  I've also gone into IDT Audio control panel but I can't get any audio out of any speaker on the test.  So I have no idea what else I can try.  If anyone has any suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thx!

All Replies
  • sassabee
    When I first connected my external speakers (2.1 stereo) through the headphone jack I could only get sound from the left and right speaker but not the subwoofer.

This is odd. It seems to me that the laptop was working okay at that point. There is no 3rd channel for the bass. In a 2.1 system there is a filter in the speakers which separates out the low frequencies and routes them to the woofer. I think the computer was working okay then because you were hearing its 2 channels, but the speakers were failing to produce the 3rd channel.

sassabee
    I tried a few things but nothing worked so I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled it.  Now all the sound only comes out of the left speaker.  I connected the speakers to my iPod and they all work fine.  The speakers on the laptop itself also seem to work fine. I've used the same speakers on other computers for several years with no issues. So I'm assuming it's some sort of setting or configuration through windows for the external speakers.  I tried headphones as well and only the left had sound too.

At this point the problem does now involve the computer, because only one channel is working. I doubt it is a configuration issue for two reasons. One, by reinstalling the driver, which you did several times, the configuration would have been reset to default, and two, the audio is coming out of both internal speakers. I would try running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests to narrow the problem down to either the software or hardware. If the tests indicate that there is a hardware failure then I would suspect the jack. (Note that if there is no audio through the jack during the PSA  tests which precede the Dell Diagnostic it doesn't mean anything.)

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks for your help.  I'm starting to think that's it is the jack, however it's a brand new laptop so I'm hoping it's not.  I ran the diagnostic tests and there was no audio coming out to the headphones during the audio test.  When I play any audio through windows through my speakers or headphones it seems to just be mono sound when it should be stereo.  Any suggestions how to fix if that's the problem? Thanks!

• sassabee
    there was no audio coming out to the headphones during the audio test.

That would indicate to me that it is a hardware failure if it was the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. If it was just the PSA tests as explained in the FAQ then that doesn't mean anything one way or another.

The only other test I know of is to return the computer to the original factory configuration (page 65 of the Setup Guide). This will accomplish one of two things, either

> it will fix the problem, which will confirm that it was a software problem, or

> it will not fix it, and thus confirm that it is a hardware problem. All software problems will be fixed so any problems left are in the hardware.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member