XPS L501X - reinstall Realtek HD Audio drivers, Realtek HD Audio Manager does not work

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

XPS L501X - reinstall Realtek HD Audio drivers, Realtek HD Audio Manager does not work

This question is answered

I have re-installed the Realtek HD Audio drivers, using a download from the Dell support site (R288660.exe).

Firstly installing the Dell download straight up does not seem to work. If I do this after the reboot it appears that Microsoft drivers are loaded for HD Audio (according to driver details in Device Manager). Note also that there is no Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Control Panel.

I found that if I manually uninstall the HD Audio device in Device Manager before I install the Dell download the Realtek drivers do get installed. (Note that the Dell download tries to do the uinstall itself if the device is installed, but this doesn't seem to work). Note that there is also an entry for Realtek HD Audio Manager in the Control Panel.

However, even though the Realtek HD Audio drivers now appears to be installed (according to Device Manager) the Realtek HD Audio Manager cannot be started. The link in the Control Panel does nothing. The Waves MaxxAudio3 button above the keyboard does nothing.

I've read elsewhere in this forum of people complaining about this problem. The only solution suggested is to revert to an old system restore point. This is exactly what I have had to do i.e. give up on the re-install completely.

Is there anyone from Dell who can shed some light on this.

Regards, rw

Verified Answer
  • Hey Hey! Realtek HD Audio driver R300326.exe installs correctly.

I now have the latest driver and Realtek HD Audio Manager.

rw

All Replies
  • You do understand that you have to run R288660 twice if you already have Realtek drivers installed?  The first time only removes the existing driver.  After restart the windows default driver will install automatically.  Run R288660 again to install the Realtek driver.

• Hey Hey! Realtek HD Audio driver R300326.exe installs correctly.

I now have the latest driver and Realtek HD Audio Manager.

rw