Dell xps 15 Audio problems

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell xps 15 Audio problems

This question is answered

Hi,

I have recently purchased a dell xps15, roughly 3 months ago. everything was working fine untill i booted it yestersday.

the right side speaker has no sound, and left side has extremely low sound level with a large amount of static noise.

I haven't made any system adjustments and i have tried restoring all audio settings to default. also when i ran a diagnostic

check it came back fine? anybody have similar problems or any ideas what mighth be wrong or how to fix??

Verified Answer
  • insanoblastor
    but these all just show that i said i could not hear the audio .

It is true that therte is not much information but the way the test works -- in its own operating environment (not in Windows) -- it rules out all software problems, meaning that if you do not hear the audio during the tests it is a hardware problem. ( This logic only fails in the case of a bad sense pin which is why one tests separately for that one problem). The value of the test is that you now know that you don't have to waste time trying to fix it with software fixes. You should contact Dell support to have the computer repaired.

Although the test results are thin on specifics, generally all Dell wants to know is whether the problem is caused by software or hardware. They do not need to know more because they do not attempt to actually repair the problem, only replace parts. They will probably either replace the speakers or the motherboard.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

All Replies
  • Take a look at The "No Audio" Symptom FAQ and try the Sense Pin test. If audio is okay through 'phones then you might have a failing jack. It could be the speakers but if they passed the Dell Diagnostics audio tests then they are okay.

• ok, i have run all audio diagnostics test for audio and come up with a few errors:

1B63:061B

1B62:111B

1B63:1C1B

but these all just show that i said i could not hear the audio . What can i do next? or how can i explore and repair this in more depth? i am still covered by a dell warantee??

Thanks for all your help

• system info:     dell xps 15,  L501x

• insanoblastor
    but these all just show that i said i could not hear the audio .

It is true that therte is not much information but the way the test works -- in its own operating environment (not in Windows) -- it rules out all software problems, meaning that if you do not hear the audio during the tests it is a hardware problem. ( This logic only fails in the case of a bad sense pin which is why one tests separately for that one problem). The value of the test is that you now know that you don't have to waste time trying to fix it with software fixes. You should contact Dell support to have the computer repaired.

Although the test results are thin on specifics, generally all Dell wants to know is whether the problem is caused by software or hardware. They do not need to know more because they do not attempt to actually repair the problem, only replace parts. They will probably either replace the speakers or the motherboard.

• will do, thanks a million for all your help!

• so i got in touch with dell and they're going to do an onsite repair for me in 2 days. Replace the speakers and possibly motherboard at the same time depending on the problem.