Headset Not Working (Dell Studio Laptop)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Headset Not Working (Dell Studio Laptop)

This question is not answered

Hello,

I have a problem that is driving me bonkers:  I own a Dell XPS desktop (Win 7-64) and run Ventrilo (a chat software used for gaming) and Plantronics headset (uses mic/headphone jacks) with mic.  Everything works fine.

The issue is with my new laptop (Studio 1745, Win7-64).  I installed Vent, plugged the headphones in, and no one can hear me.  The settings for Vent are identical on both computers and I am using the same headset.

Below is what got under "Device Manager"-->Sound, Video, Game Controls

Desktop: High Definition Audio Device ( MFG Microsoft)

Laptop: ATI High Definition Audio Device (MFG ATI), AVerMedia A338 Hybrid Analog/ATSC (MFG AVerMedia Tech), IDT High Def Audio CODEC (MFG IDT).

All Replies
  • This should have been posted in the Laptop Audio (hardware) section.  Suggest you repost it there for more help. There can be some different issues with a laptop vs desktop.  

I do see one conflict, you note High Definition Audio Device (Microsoft) and IDT High Def Audio CODEC (IDT).  There could a conflict with this as the IDT is your actual audio chip, not the Microsoft device.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Home Built PC with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard, i7 3770 CPU,  Windows 7 64 bit Home/Win 8.1.  SSD drive.  Sonar X3c 64 bit Recordng Software.

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.