Sound Problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Sound Problem

This question is not answered

I have studio 1745 laptop with Win 7 Home Premium. The OS is Intel Centrino.
Sometimes when I log on I do not get any sound at all. However the log on is successful and all applications not requiring sound work well. In this situation when I log off the program waits for the log off sound and I have to force shut down.

If there is no sound at the first logon then I can usually get it upon shutting down and restarting. According to Device Manager I have 2 sound devices. High Definition Audio Device and IDT Hiigh Definition Audio CODEC, Both are working properly and have correct drivers.
In the sound device section I have 3 playback options as follows
1. Digital Audi(HDMI) This is not plugged in
2. Speakers/Headphones IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. This is set as Default.
3.Independent RTC Headphone IDT High Definition Audio CODEC. This is also not plugged in.

I will greatly appreciate if someone would suggest a remedy to my sound problem. My laptop is still under Dell's limited one year warranty. Should I send it to them for checkup instead of trying to solve the problem myself?

kraza

All Replies
  • Try to reinstall the driver from dell.support site. www.support.dell.com

http://www.bestfreebees.com

• kraza
    My laptop is still under Dell's limited one year warranty. Should I send it to them for checkup instead of trying to solve the problem myself?

The problem is that the warranty will only cover hardware problems. Before Dell will accept it they will probably make you go through all possible software steps to try to establish that it is a software problem. I am not sure which it is. You might want to restore your computer back to the factory configuration using either Data Safe or Facrory Image Restore as explained in the Setup Guide beginning on page 65. I would use Factory Image Restore.

If that solves the problem then it means it was a software problem. If it does not solve the problem then it is either a hardware problem or a software defect that Dell installed in it before it left the factory. Dell will fix it if the former. If the latter if I were you I would insist that they find a solution -- not that they are necessarily capable of doing so.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks for responding to my post. I have given the laptop to the Geeks at Best Buy, they are going to run a diagnostic on it free of charge to determine if it is a hardware problem or a software issue. We will  then take it further from there.