Inspiron 1300 Audio Problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1300 Audio Problem

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have installed a fresh copy of windons xp pro sp 3 on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop and everything is working perfect except for the sound.

My problem is that no sound comes out of the speakers but if i plug my headphones in it works fine through them, Ive checked some of the other posts such as services.msc but with no solution

Do any of you bright sparks have any ideas oh i have a basic understanding of computers but nothing to technical Smile

Thanks

All Replies
  • This could possibiliy be due to incorrect driver order when installing windows. Try reinstalling windows with the drivers installed in the following order

XP Service Pack 2 (may be included on xp disc):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

XP Service Pack 3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Driver Set Required all from here except older video:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSPIRON1300/B130&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

R120775 Dell System Utilities

R114079 Intel Chipset

R112732 opposed to R128346 Intel 915GM Graphics (I found to be more functional on my inspiron 1300)

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R112732&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=147598

R90851 R114200 Conexant Modem

R108904 R150593 Broadcom/Ethernet

You will need to select the right region and right wireless card, trial and error will work ones that don't work will fail to install.

R122161 Sigmatel Audio Driver

R120179 Touchpad

R151309 Dell Quickset

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

•  

Hey natakuc4,

I noticed that a couple of times yesterday you recommended the old Sigmatel R122161 audio driver instead of the current R171789, which itself is now almost 2 years old. Is there a particular reason?

To me that old driver had a certain distinction, in that some folks at notebookforums.com hacked it a number of times and made it one of the most functional Sigmatel drivers ever. If there were a Sigmatel driver hall of fame the R122161 would be in it.

blistered,

if natakuc4's directions are too technical for you, let us know. In my experience if drivers were by chance installed in the wrong order, that can be corrected by installing the Dell Notebook System Software, restart, the Intel Mobile Chipset driver, restart, then the Sigmatel audio driver. Often that is all that is necessary.

Also, there are other causes besides the audio driver for getting audio out of the headphone jack but not the speakers. One reason would be a bad sensor pin in the jack. The faulty sensor would make the system think there is a plug in the jack and cut off the signal to the speakers. Try inserting and gently wiggling a plug or q-tip in the jack while audio is playing. If you get any kind of sound from the speakers, no matter how briefly, the problem is the jack.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Jimco, I just mentioned the driver set I had installed on my inspiron 1300, I have not reloaded xp for about a year and a half on it as my mum uses it now (about once a week). When I last installed, I just used the drivers I had already downloaded onto my external harddrive.

I have had R171789 installed on the inspiron 6400 units and it seemed to function fine, but had not been aware it was applicable to the inspiron 1300 aswell and so I have not tested it on the inspiron 1300.  I will not recommend it until I see for myself that it works on my inspiron 1300. And to be honest I thought Dell would have stopped updating drivers for this unit now.

The older graphics driver, I have stated has been more reliable on the inspiron 1300 for me. I got bluescreens with the newer one that I did not get with the older one.

Philip Yip

Windows Reinstallation Guide and Related Wikies See here for other wikies such as Customising and Using Windows 8.1, Dell Wireless Cards and Unofficial Drivers.

•  

natakuc4, Thanks for the explanation. I feel a pedantic urge coming on so you might want to skip the rest of this.

You might have noticed when you installed the R171789 driver on the Inspiron 6400 that the big change is that it provides stereo mix as a recording option, not just mic/line. The biggest gripe people used to have with all of the Sigmatel HD drivers was the lack of stereo mix. What made the R122161 unique was the discoverey that its inf files could be hacked and made to supply stereo mix. Finally Dell rectified the situation by releasing the R171789, which is compatible with 46 Dell laptop models. Then Vista came out and there were no more Sigmatel XP driver updates. People were outraged when they found out that the Vista drivers were lacking stereo mix again. Dell claimed that it was impossible to do it in Vista, but lo and behold folks here discovered that on some of the laptop models you could use the R171789 driver in Vista (by installing it with the help of XP compatibility mode) and have stereo mix in Vista, despite all claims to the contrary.

Of course stereo mix is not of interest to everybody, but those people who want to have it really want to have it. If there were a Sigmatel driver Hall of Fame, the R171789 would be in there right beside the R122161.

• To be honest, in vista I just took the option of not installing the audio driver at all, it seemed more problematic once installed than without it installed.

Philip Yip

• Thanks for all the advice guys, Am going to try now to see if i can get it working!

will let you no how i get on

Thanks    Big Smile

• Hi

I have a problem with my inspiron 1300: when i close the lid of laptop when is playng music the sound is stopping for about 1 second, is something wrong with the drivers? when i open it it's ok, only when i close the sound is stopping.

• I think that is normal. Open Windows Task Manager by pressing ctrl+alt+delete. Select the performance tab and close the lid. After a moment open the lid and see if the cpu usage spiked to 100%. If it did then that is why the audio gets chopped off -- the cpu is being fully tasked by the other processes.

alefzero
    is something wrong with the drivers?

It could be the driver instead of what I said above, but probably there will never be another Sigmatel driver update.

• The cpu usage remains about the same when i close the lid, but it goes to 100% after i open it.

• probably is stupid what i think but could it be because of irq conflict? audio is same as video irq16 in my computer.

• Hi Experts,

I have A Dell Laptop inspiron 1318, but no sound comes out the speaker when I plug my headphones in it. I can hear from people but they can not hear from me. I have checked all headphone with other computer desktop is ok.

Please guide me how to repair it on Dell Inspiration 1318.

Thank kou so much,

With my arm Regards,

Tuong Van