Dell 1737 - no audio through HDMI

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell 1737 - no audio through HDMI

This question is not answered

Hi,

I have just bought a Dell Studio 1737. Vista 32bit

I can't get any audio through the HDMI output.

After reading other threads here, it seems I should update my "High definition audio" driver. But which should I use? Some are from Intel, some Sigma. I can't read anywhere in the specs which I should use. Current driver is from 2006 6.0.6000.16386

Hope someone can help me.

All Replies
  •  

Your drivers are on the Studio 1737 downloads page. If you ever want to reload your audio driver it is the IDT one in the Audio category, not Sigmatel.

***********************************************************************************************************

HDMI uses its own audio driver separate from the IDT audio system of your computer. It might be named "Audio device on high definition audio bus" in the Device Manager. It is actually included in the graphics driver, so if you do need to update then check to see what your graphics card is then find the driver in the Video category. But you might already have what you need. The missing driver should be located in the HDMI folder of your graphics driver folder. Here is a sample path, but this will vary depending on the name of your graphics driver:

C:\dell\drivers\R199173\HDMI

According to forum member jemerson29 "just update the driver using the IntcHdmi.inf located there".

*************************************************************************************************************

Forum member  extra hand had the Intel video driver GM965, and he wrote: "in the unzipped intel video driver (GM965) there's a folder named HDMI. It contains the driver for the audio device on high definition audio bus. To install, right click on the device in device manager (which has an exclamation mark on it), then update driver, and point to the HDMI folder. Once the driver is installed, the (!) exclamation should disappear in device manager. There's no need to reconfigure any audio settings. Audio will automatically be fed to the HDMI port, and when an HDMI cable is plugged into the port the laptop's speakers automatically mute."

***************************************************************************************************************

By warf0x0r in Audio
    "I was having a similar problem. Everytime I reinstalled the 965 Intel Graphics driver the default audio device was coming up as High Definition Audio. I had to update that devices driver and specify the intel driver file I got from dells driver download website for the m1330."

********************************************************************************************************************

To play audio through HDMI:

1 Turn off the computer and TV.
    2 Connect the computer and TV.
    3 Then turn the TV on.
    4 Next, turn on the computer to allow it to detect the connection to the TV.
    5 Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab. Select the HDMI device as the default device. Click the Set Default button, then OK.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Hi,

I have installed the IDT High def. audio Codec. But it doesn't update the "High def. audio"

My graphic card is a ATI HD3650. There is not a folder called \HDMI Tongue Tied

Any other hints?

•  

BorreBoy
    I have installed the IDT High def. audio Codec. But it doesn't update the "High def. audio"

Nor should it. Sorry for not being clearer. There is no connection between IDT and HDMI.

The HDMI audio driver (or Audio device on high definition audio bus) is entirely separate from the IDT HD (high definition) audio driver. The HDMI audio driver is in the graphics driver's folder on those models with Intel cards. Sorry but I don't have any information specifically about the ATI graphics card.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member