Inspiron E1505 audio device not detected?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron E1505 audio device not detected?

This question is not answered

i recently just reformatted my computer and reinstalled Windows XP professional.  after reformatting no matter what i just cant get the speakers to work. i downloaded the drivers and i installed it successfully, it was the creative (i believe the second one on the list of audio drivers). speaker icon appeared on the taskbar.

however, when i click on it, the system said that "the audio device supported by this application is not detected " . when i tried downloading Sigmatel it stuck at the step which its figuring out system configurations, popped out a WLAN driver setup window, and then i clicked exit and everythings just gone.

i tried to install the notebook driver under utility, it didnt work either. it says that my windows does not support it.

what should i do now?

thanks for the help

All Replies
  •  

Your audio system on the motherboard is Sigmatel, which must be fully functioning before installing the Creative Labs software. You would install the Audigy driver if you intend to buy the Creative software which you would do through the "Invitation". The Audigy driver needs to be able to find a functioning Sigmatel system. An incorrect installation of the Creative products can interfere with the Windows Audio Service. To check, go to Start/Run and type "services.msc" then hit the 'Enter' key (or click 'ok'). The Services window will appear. Scroll down until you find "Windows Audio" towards the bottom of the list. Check that it is enabled, set to automatic, and running.

******************************************************************************************

These instructions are for a situation where an operating system has already been reinstalled and everything works except the audio driver will not install ... usually you get an error message, because the Notebook System Software and chipset drivers were not installed correctly and the audio chip on the motherboard is not recognized. In this situation "usually" a fresh install of the OS is not required, just re-installing the NSS and chipset correctly. If that doesn't work then a full re-installation may be necessary. Install in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart. If you are having trouble installing this utility make sure it is R120775 (4.5.0, A21) for XP. You might have to reinstall XP. This should be the first thing installed after the operating system.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.

c. Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category)

***************************************************************************************************************

If you still have problems, try doing it this way:

1. Go to c:\Dell\drivers\R171789 and delete the R171789 folder.
    2. Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111 and get the UAA driver. Install it and restart the computer.
    3. Download R171789 again or reuse previous download.
    4. After it finishes extracting the files and begins to install, cancel.
    5. Open Device Manager and expand System devices near the bottom. If you see a PCI Device entry with a ? next to it. Go to the properties and choose to update the driver. Choose to manually find the drivers and don't let windows look for drivers on the net or automatically. Browse to
    c:\Dell\drivers\R171789\WDM

With any luck it should detect some new hardware and one of them should be the Sigmatel.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member