Dell Studio XPS 1640 - Windows XP Audio Driver (Need Help)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell Studio XPS 1640 - Windows XP Audio Driver (Need Help)

This question has suggested answer(s)

Has anyone found a solution to the problems with the 1 unknown device and the problem with the audio driver. I still can't get my internal microphone to work..... these 2 things are the last problems i have...im sure lots of people have the same problem.....

thanks

All Replies
  • According to the manual it doesn't have a built in microphone. You have to plug an external one in.

• Mary G

According to the manual it doesn't have a built in microphone. You have to plug an external one in.

im pretty sure it has a built in micrphone... i;ve used it while i've been using vista on msn..

• has anyone found a solution to this?? im sure lots of people have installed xp on to their xps systems

• I've downloaded the driver for the XPS Studio 1555 (same sound card and integrated mic) and modded it so that the installer would accept being installed into a 1640

so, the driver for 1640 Audio with built in microphone support is:

Updating the link (had gotten the wrong one from skydrive.live.com)

http://cid-b98cfb1fc37a589a.skydrive.live.com/embedrow.aspx/DELL%20XPS%20Studio%201640%20Modded%20Audio%20Driver/Dell%20XPS%20Studio%201640%20Audio%20Driver%20With%20buildin%20Microphone%20R214424.zip

and also uploaded it to megauploads:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WBEQ8Y37

have fun :)

• Excellent; many thanks - can confirm that this works under XP Pro on my 1640.

• Hey... has someone the drivers for Windows XP?... x86 or x64?

Please help me... I can't make Windows XP works good in my STUDIO XPS 1640...

Please, someone, share your drivers....

• Hi there, windows vista sp1 and xp sp3 for me ran around the same speed with only xp booting up in 32 seconds and vista 42 seconds. Programs such as adobe photoshop cs3 ran at the same speed with vista maybe executing the programs a bit faster. Instead I have installed windows 7 rc1 on my xps studio 1640. Maybe you should consider windows 7?

• Great! Another confirmation here, it works fine!

• hi, i just figued out the video driver....also got wireless card, and AHCI support installed..........can you please send me the links for the rest of the staff...thanks!