Inspiron 1525 with Sigmatel Driver

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 1525 with Sigmatel Driver

• I just reinstalled this machine with XP (after giving up on Vista) and followed the driver order given in the document 327740 "How to Install Drivers in MS Windows on Dell Systems".

Here the order is OS, Chipsets (I used R166187 and R166188), Video, NIC, then Audio and so on - and I followed that order.

I ended up with the Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus flagged in Device Manager.

I installed the UAA from MS 888111 and the flag went away... until I rebooted.  It then came back.  Uninstalling then rebooting gives the same effect.

After all that I later found another document that says when you have Sigmatel the order should be Chipsets, Audio... etc.  Contradicting the order in the first document.

Would that account for my error.  Is there anyway around this besides a reinstall.

I saw postings that suggest using an earlier version of the Intel chipset - but reinstalling any chipsets at this point does not seem to be appropriate.

Another is to use a driver from Realtek... which I wonder about as well, as no realtek components are on the laptop.

Suggestions welcome.

Tomster

• First open control panel and select sigma tel>uninstall this.

Next open device manager thru control panel>Click the (+) next to sound,video and game controllers.

Double click sigma tel high definition audio codec>click the driver tab at top>then towards bottom of screen click uninstall.Re-boot your system and windows will install its audio driver,now install this this http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R180044&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=245332 .  Re-boot system immediately after install.When it boots back up it should be o.k.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

• I worked on this for about 3 hours before I posted.  A few minutes after I posted - some of my frazzled neurons connected some dots.   Somewhere I saw that installing the Intel 965 driver after MS888111 would install the HDMI device - but I was thinking that was the orginal Chipset that I did not want to reinstall.

I then was reviewing my Belarc Advisor summary for this machine and saw the Intel 965 listed as a video driver.   It made no sense that this would affect sound... but it also was not the main chip set so I reintalled in... and sure enough, there was the install of the HDMI component - a sound driver within in the video chip set.

I then came back to post what worked for me for as much as I hate the pain of these episodes, I hate having others go through them. 

That was when I saw your almost instant response... which was right down the same alley.

Thanks for the response... and for everyone else out there going down this dark alley:

1) Lookup MS KB888111 - and at the VERY TOP OF THE PAGE, Click on "View and request hotfix downloads".

2) After you jump through the listed hoops to get the file, install it... reboot.

3) Then reinstall the Intel 965 video driver file.  For an Inspiron 1525 it is R180043 - available at the drivers page for the Inspiron 1525.

Cheers

Tomster

• "Here the order is OS, Chipsets (I used R166187 and R166188), Video, NIC, then Audio ..."

The first item prescribed for laptops in article 327740 is Dell Notebook System Software (NSS). 

Jim 

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• The dell notebook system software IS the OS (in this case XP), isn't it? 

My understanding is that you cannot install the drivers until you install the OS... but maybe I am missing something here.

• "I then came back to post what worked for me for as much as I hate the pain of these episodes, I hate having others go through them."

Thank you for posting your solution, it will be a big help for others. Installing XP drivers on the 1525's with the Microsoft UAA patch has always been a problem. I can't understand why Dell won't or can't provide drivers that just install properly and painlessly, but that isn't the case. Thanks for figuring it out.

The NSS is the entry in the 'System Utilities' category on the 1525 XP drivers page.

Normally it is the first item to install after installing XP ... it's not so important with Vista. An explanation of the NSS is given on its download page. The computer should be restarted before continuing with the other drivers.

Jim 

• Regarding the NSS, that is a new one on me.  Thanks for pointing that out.

After the install of the operating system, I usually set up the Dell Dimension Resources CD as that helps sort out some of the drivers in cases where I am unable to see the machine in an operating state before it shows up on my doorstep. 

From what you are saying the NSS is different than the Resources CD.  Is that correct?

• If you had a Resouces cd for a 1525 with XP then the NSS would be one of the items on it. On a Dell Dimension Resources cd the corresponding item would be the DSS because it is a desktop computer.

Jim 

• OK... as long as we are on a roll here, do you know where I could find the procedure to restore the Dell Utilities partition on a brand new hard drive?
  • I'm pretty vague on that. I think I would try to put it on a flash drive as explained here.

Jim 

• Good option.   I also heard that if you made an image of the partition, you can restore it back... but have not tried that yet.

In any case, thanks for the replies and comments.  You were very helpful... Thanks!!!!

• Sorry for responding to an old thread, but just wanted to say that the above finally solved my sound problems.

I had to reinstall XP onto my Dell Onspiron 1300 laptop, downloaded drivers from the Dell website and got a load of errors!

Managed to resolve all of them except audio. Found that the problem was I had reinstalled SP3 which seems to wipe out WLAN and Sound card connections.

Also didn't help that Sigmatel has been taken over by IDT, but none of their drivers seem to work with Sigmatel, which they now describe as IDT High Defintion Audio. Unfortunately Sigmatel's last update doesn't work.  Therefore I couldn't find an update for the driver in Update Driver.

Searching for Sigmatel instead of IDT did help me find a driver eventually, version 5.10.0.5515 updated 10/05/07

But the audio device was still showing as a conflict in Device Manager. Tried uninstalling, checking Windows Audio Manger etc, but nothing worked. Every time I tried to access the Volume Controls I would get a message "No active mixer devices".

Searched for this message and got a few useful downloads,  One from hp.com - sp32646.exe gave me C Audio, which seemed to register something, but still no sound.  I changed my sound sytem to Windows Default in case this was causing a problem, could get window sounds but nothing else.

Then I tried the above link, which gave me R180044.exe.  Didn't entirely understand the initial instructions, but I has uninstalled/reinstalled so many times, it made no difference. Opened the download, which took a fair time to install. At one point I got a message suggesting that it was not the right version for me, but I decided to continue anyway.  Rebooted, then bingo, problem fixed. Intetrestingly, Device Manager now says I have Sigmatel High Definition Audio.

Just wanted to thank you for the above, you've no idea how much time I've spent trying to fix this

• SPELLING MISTAKES CORRECTED!

Sorry for responding to an old thread, but just wanted to say that the above finally solved my sound problems.

I had to reinstall XP onto my Dell inspiron 1300 laptop, downloaded drivers from the Dell website and got a load of errors!

Managed to resolve all of them except audio. Found that the problem was I had reinstalled SP3 which seems to wipe out WLAN and Sound card connections.

Also didn't help that Sigmatel has been taken over by IDT, but none of their drivers seem to work with Sigmatel, which they now describe as IDT High Definition Audio. Unfortunately Sigmatel's last update doesn't work.  Therefore I couldn't find an update for the driver in Update Driver.

Searching for Sigmatel instead of IDT did help me find a driver eventually, version 5.10.0.5515 updated 10/05/07

But the audio device was still showing as a conflict in Device Manager. Tried uninstalling, checking Windows Audio Manger etc, but nothing worked. Every time I tried to access the Volume Controls I would get a message "No active mixer devices".

Searched for this message and got a few useful downloads,  One from hp.com - sp32646.exe gave me C Audio, which seemed to register something, but still no sound.  I changed my sound system to Windows Default in case this was causing a problem, could get window sounds but nothing else.

Then I tried the above link, which gave me R180044.exe.  Didn't entirely understand the initial instructions, but I has uninstalled/reinstalled so many times, it made no difference. Opened the download, which took a fair time to install. At one point I got a message suggesting that it was not the right version for me, but I decided to continue anyway.  Rebooted, then bingo, problem fixed. Interestingly, Device Manager now says I have Sigmatel High Definition Audio.

Just wanted to thank you for the above, you've no idea how much time I've spent trying to fix this

• Hmm, spoke too soon, the fix is DFX Audio Plus, keeps asking you to buy the Enhanced version.

A small grey box appears after a while asking you to Order. Cost is $29.  Sound is reduced slightly as well, but managable.

The grey box can be moved, I placed it on the task bar and was able to continue to watch video full screen with only a small part of the box visible

So if you can put up with this, the fix works