No sound output from microphone Latitude D520

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

No sound output from microphone Latitude D520

• Hi,

I plugged my microphone in the line input of my Dell Latitude D520 Laptop, and tested it in the Control Panel, it seems that the microphone can be recorded then played, but I cannot hear the sound "live" on my speakers.

It seems like it's a well known issue, I tried to configure my microphone in the Control Panel, reinstalled the SigmaTel Audio driver (R171789), tried to modify the registry as explained here, "Models with Windows XP and a Sigmatel STAC 92xxHD Audio Chip" sectionm but none of these workarounds seem to be working.

When I right-click in the system tray on the "Recording Control", the mic option is not here, nor in the Options -> Properties, the mic check box is not here. So I think this wouldn't help configuring output sound from microphone.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

• I wrote that FAQ before the R171789 was released. It turns out that the instructions will not work with that driver. If you need to have input monitoring then you should use your previous driver. You might be able to use 'rollback driver' in Device Manager, or you might have to download R122161

Jim 

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks for your quick answer. I've just been installing the R122161 driver, executing the registry modifcations again, the Line in option is appearing but the microphone option still does not appear in the options. And now when testing hardware in the Control Panel, nothing is detected anymore. Any ideas ?

Thanks 

• If the instructions were followed exactly I am sorry but I don't have an explanation for why the edit did not work on your system.

Jim 

Jim Coates -- senior forum member