Sigma Tel/Inspiron E1505/No Sound

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Sigma Tel/Inspiron E1505/No Sound

• Hi I have a Inspiron E 1505 laptop with a Sigma Tel sound card.  My sound stopped playing and when you went to the audio devices page in control panel it stated no audio device.  I went to device manager and it listed everything as ok and functional, so I updated my driver and then it worked again.  Then I upgraded my BIOS from A05 to A17 and when the computer restarted my sound was no longer working again with the same issues but one new issue.  I am not certain whether BIOS had a factor or it was just a matter of the next time I restarted but added to my Device Manager List was Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver it was called and it had a little yellow exclamation point next to it so I clicked it and it is telling me that A driver (service) for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32).  My Sigma Tel drivers are up to date and I am not sure what this thing is that appeared or what to do to get my sound working any help would be great!!!  If you need more info out of me just ask!
  • Total uninstall the Sigmatel from Add - Remove Programs
    Using device Manager completly uninstall the drivers from there. (Do NOT reboot between these steps)
    When you reboot, try to cancel ALl automatic installs, and run the Sigmatel download from support.dell.com

I've been running A17 since it came out (I'm an "Up to date' junkie) and it's having no problems in XP, OSX 10.5 or Vista.

• Uninstall just the Sigmatel Driver?? or all the drivers I have listed.

My list of drivers there includes,
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Microsoft WINMM WDMAudio Compatability Drivers  -  thats the one showing that error
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Video Codecs
    Message Edited by Drachen675 on 02-08-2008 01:13 PM
  • ok just the WINMM driver ... see if that works.
  • I did as you said, and it appears to have worked ill restart it once or twice and give it a day and click the problem solved then.  Thanks!!