Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver problem

• I have lost all sound (except beeping). In the

System Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers > Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver

has a yellow !.

Rigthclicked it > Properties... > Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver Properties > General Tab > Device Status says

A driver (service) to this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing functionailty (Code 32)

Clicked Troubleshoot : It suggests "Uninstall and then reinstall your device."

I am a little afraid to uninstall and the reinstall the device. It talks about using the Add Hardware Wizard. But is this driver a hardware? Has anyone done it? Thanks, Eustace
  • Eustace ,

If this just recently happened I'd use System Restore to return the computer to a date before the problem occurred.

If that doesn't work then re-install the Sigmatel audio driver. Often there is no way to tell if the driver is defective except by uninstalling and reinstalling it and then trying to use your audio again. Go to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager. Find the Sigmatel audio driver under Sound Controllers, right click on it, and then click Uninstall. Restart the computer. Windows should automatically detect your device and display a wizard that helps you reinstall the driver for it.

Or you can download a new audio driver from your downloads page. Click the + sign next to 'Audio':

Inspiron 1300/B130 XP downloads

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks. I had never before used System Restore. It worked, though now I have a few applications problems, which I hope are not too serious. I also hope I won't found more problems in the future...

The problem happened after I had updated to RealPlayer 11. Now some file, it says, is missing, and I will reinstall it.

In the meantime, before waiting for your reply, I had unistalled the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver. Where can I find it to reinstall it? I don't see it in the Dell drivers page...

Eustace
  • Eustace,

Have you rebooted since you uninstalled the WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver? I would think that Windows would reinstall it upon boot up. If it doesn't, maybe you can download it from the Microsoft site. I don't know what it does but for sure it isn't a device driver that Dell supplies on the driver pages. It's some Windows thing. It isn't the audio driver but must have some function in audio. I googled it and went to at least a dozen sites that mentioned it. Still haven't found one who knows what it is or how to fix a problem with it.

You might have better luck posting this question on one of our Software boards where they specialize in Windows.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Can you tell me how you fixed this?? I have had the same exact thing happen to me and have been going nuts trying to fix it....

• Get the driver here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/realtek_ac97_drivers.html

While I am here, may i recommend 

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/

scroll down

Smile