Sigmatel 9205 - Problems with audio codec in Windows XP

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Sigmatel 9205 - Problems with audio codec in Windows XP

• Does anyone have a working solution to using IDT Sigmatel STAC 9205 Audio Codec in Windows XP.  I have Dell Lat. D531, D630, D830 and XPS M1330 (the D531 and XPS came with VISTA pre-installed - we don't support, so I formatted and installed Windows XP).  The problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, get the Sigmatel driver to install.  Even on the machines that came with Windows XP (we routinely format the Dell OEM OS and replace with our volume license XP OS) the driver won't install.  I even repaired the OS installation with the OEM (Dell) version and still the driver will. not. install.....  This is a very recent problem and I have at least 15 laptops that I can't get the integrated sound card to work (when I go to install the driver the message is basically the component you are trying to install is not present on this system).  I have been 'working' with Dell Tech Support (Gold and otherwise) to no avail.  One tech sent a replacement hard drive imaged with a working driver -- however, she sent a VISTA imaged hard drive...I explained that we don't support VISTA prior to her sending the drive.  One tech is having the motherboard replaced (today).  I'll see how that goes.  This driver is the kiss of death unless dell with supply a pc card as a replacement, I have tried everything I know to do and Dell Tech support knows to do.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
  • After you have performed an Operating System re-installation, the Sigmatel audio driver will not install unless this order of installation is followed:

a. Install Dell Notebook System Software (click the + sign next to System Utilities).

b. Next and very important, install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (click the + sign next to Chipset). Failure to do this results in a " no audio device " message.
    (Models with AMD cpu use the AMD processor driver.)

c. Finally re-install the Sigmatel audio driver (click the + sign next to Audio).

These are on the downloads page for your computer model and operating system. To find your downloads page click on this link and then follow the links for your model and operating system:
    Downloads Pages

Rarely there will still be a problem with the installation at this point (in XP). In those cases follow this tip from forum member rpilT2005: check in the Device Manager for a "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark next to it, under the "System Devices" grouping. Hit 'update driver' on that one, and it should find the driver.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks.  I have followed the steps in the right order with the 5 machines prior to this.  I have 4 more in the box.  I am going to try this once more before giving up.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • If you have installed SP2 for Windows XP, you need to install KB888111

• dear All,
    I have XPS M1330, I removed VISTA and I install XP, all driver are good .... I have only a problem regarding Sound, could you please suggest a drive compatible for this machine and XP.
    Kind Regards Tony
  • Tony, some posters have reported that the XP drivers for the Vostro 1500 will work for the M1330.

Vostro 1500 XP downloads

However before installing any Sigmatel driver after an OS installation you should follow this order of driver installation:

a. Install Dell Notebook System Software R154270 (click the + sign next to System Utilities). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver 153997 (click the + sign next to Chipset). Restart.

c. Finally re-install the Sigmatel audio driver R158235 (click the + sign next to Audio).

Some v1500 users have reported that they had to "uninstall an unknown PCI device in Device manager first , then install the driver normally".

Rarely there will still be a problem with the installation at this point (in XP). In those cases follow this tip from forum member rpilT2005: check in the Device Manager for a "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark next to it, under the "System Devices" grouping. Hit 'update driver' on that one, and it should find the driver.

A previous poster was able to get his audio working by following the above instructions more or less He said that after installing the Chipset driver he next uninstalled the unknown PCI device. He let Windows look for a new driver but he said he had to point it to the folder with the driver. Then he wrote, "Xp still said that an error occurred and the device may not work properly, but it did work fine and I also don't have a yellow question mark..." I know this is confusing.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Dear Jim,

Done !!!!!! thank you very very much ..... I have an yellow question mark in "Audio devive on High ........" but my audio now works.

Tony
  • Thank for your information.  It worked and I tried other things suggested to fix the problem that did not work.  Thanks, again.