Inspiron 6400 (xp home): Mic won't work

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Inspiron 6400 (xp home): Mic won't work

• Inspiron 6400 with xp home basic Nextech Mic won't work, but does work in my hp Desktop (xp home) Doesn't show up in Volume Control Any suggestions?
  • It may be the problem with the audio drivers that it doesn't recognise the mic
  • Do you know how I can test that? Thanks.
  • "Doesn't show up in Volume Control"

If you want it to show up there you have to perform the Registry edit and configuration described in the sticky post 'Portable-Audio FAQ' (it's the very 1st post) and the question 'Why can't I hear sounds from a microphone or music player plugged into the Mic Jack?'

Follow the 2nd set of instructions, those for models with the Sigmatel 92xx chip. This will also allow you to directly monitor the input at the mic jack but it won't have a bearing on whether or not the mic 'works'. If it isn't working the Registry edit won't fix it.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks.
  • Jim, thanks for the help. Do you know how I can get the mic working? I edited the registry and I now see the mic; all is toggled properly buy I still can't record in, say, Powerpoint. Thanks, Greg
  • I guess I'd try the external mic test in the audio test part of dell Diagnostics to make sure the mic and the jack are compatible. To run Diagnostics restart the computer, and as soon as it starts to boot up hold down f12. Select 'diagnostic' from the boot menu. It will run some tests for a couple of minutes before the Diagnostic comes up. When it does, select 'custom' then the audio test. This will test your audio system independently of Windows and drivers.

If it works in the test it might start working normally. If not I'd check the configuration in the Recording Control panel. If that is okay I'd agree with the other poster about the drivers. Sometimes it takes re-installing the driver a few times to get it to see the mic.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member