9300 - Best Option for Audio & Video OUT to a Dell Desktop

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

9300 - Best Option for Audio & Video OUT to a Dell Desktop

• I'd like to correspond with anyone here that has a Dell 9300 (or similiar laptop) and a Dell XPS Gen2 Desktop,  who shares an interest in dubbing techniques between the two computers.

The list of problems I've run into falls into 3 main category:

1st)  Dell 9300 - The best option for maintaining audio OUT signals.
                               Two options seem to exist for audio signal out for Dell 9300 Laptops.  One being the headphone jack and the other being the S-Video TV out connection.  QUESTION:  Does this S-Video TV out-connector on the DELL 9300 carry audio signals and what level of Hi-Fi Fidelity can I expect to produce from it (Example:  Stereo L-R only or Dolby Surrond)
                                On your DELL 9300 with Cyberlink PowerDVD,  you can go to "Settings", DVD, Audio Settings.  Under "Speaker Configuration" you have a choice of 2-Speakers,  SPDIF etc etc. Under "Audio listening mode" you have choices of  "Stereo or Dolby Surround".   QUESTION:  Does this effect the Audio Out Signal on your S-Video TV out-connection and your Headphone out connectors?  Also QUESTION:  To  process SPDIF as an out-going signal, Do you have to have an external audio processsing card to process the signal.
                                For optimal audio performance in recording to a second device (i.e. Your DELL XPS Desktop)  what is the best option to process and preserve the audio signal from your DELL 9300.

2nd) DELL 9300 to DELL XPS Gen2 Desktop - Best Connector Options (Cables)
                                 The DELL 9300 has a S-Video TV out-connector.  On page p34. of the onwers manual you will see the adapter options described.   A TV/digital audio adapter cable did not come
    supplied with my laptop but is available from Dell.  I went by Radio Shack to pick up one,  but the kid there couldn't offer any advice on where to buy one locally.  I found one on-line at:
                               http://www.showmecables.com/catalog/thumbnails/clav026.jpg
    This adapter indicates it splits the signal into  1) S-Video 1) Black-Audio 1) Yellow-Video.
    But what about Left and Right Audio Signals,  how do you get both L-R audio signals. 
    QUESTION:  Is it best to use the audio out signal from the headphone OR is this S-Video TV out-connector a better technique and option.

3rd) DELL XPS Gen2 Desktop with  Dell Movie Video Studio Device and SB Audigy Audio.
                               The input side of dubbing movies to a DELL XPS Desktop gets a little more complicated.  So far,  I've produced family video from DELL 9300 to DELL XPS Desktop that have video but no audio sound.  Anyone here with a DELL XPS Desktop that has experience and knowledge for Audio Settings, Puh-Lesssss share with us some technical know-how on this matter.
                                The matter comes down to avoiding conflicts between Dell Movie Video Studio Device,  Dell Movie Studio Wave Device and SB Audigy Audio.
                                We could all really use an expert on this matter,  who has experience for avoidingaudio conflicts for incoming signals from an external source.  (In this case a DELL 9300 Laptop)Or If anyone here knows of a Dell Forum Thread covering this exact area of topic would be a big help.
                                 Dell Computer made this even more complicated by having a capture card for VIDEO, but finding documentation in simple step-by-step instructions for optimal performance when recording external sources is hard to come by.  If you know of a Forum Thread or Dell Support Document that covers this - Please share it under this thread.
                                 Futhermore,  Dell offered and supplied video OEM recording packages in multiple forms.  Example:   I have both  "Windows Movie Maker" and  "Dell Movie Studio by ROXIO" on my Dell XPS Gen2.  Which one offers the fewer conflicts and which one performs simply better?

Summary:  
                            If we share enough on this thread and link enough existing Forum Threads that help,  we should get plenty enough support to make some awesome looking videos and truely make our Dell Experience a value we were hoping to find.
                             Come On Dell !   When are you going to have a Dell Techincal Guru come on here and give us a "How To Class".   I've forked out enough money to deserve one.
  • Well, I'm not going to be doing any dubbing between PC's, but I plan on converting vinal LP's to CD in the near future using my 9300. I had found most of the freeware I needed to do so, hiss, snap & pop filtering etc... But to answer your questions...

1. No, S-Video does not carry any audio. It's just what it says, video. S-Video pin out is as follows, without exception & is universal. Pin 1 = Ground (Y), Pin 2 = Ground (C), Pin 3 = (Y) or Intensity (Luminance) @ 75ohms, Pin 4 = (C) or Color (Chrominance) @ 75ohms, Pin 5 = (VGND) or Composite Ground, Pin 6 = Not Connected, Pin 7 = (V) or Composite Video and the metal shell is nothing more than a sheild (for interference). It's not a great video source either. Better than compsite video out, but worse than componant video out. But then thats your only choice on this system unless you can find a DVI to Componant Video out adapter. You should have a DVI connector right next to your S-Video out. It's ment for another monitor but I suppose it might work for an adaptor. Just guessing there. I never looked into it. As for the link to that S-Video video/audio splitter/adapter goes, it's balogna, there is no audio component to S-Video.

For Hi-Fi, it's not gonna happen with a headphone jack & the onboard sound that came with our systems. If you want high quality sound, you'll need a 24bit sound card. The only option is either the Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS NoteBook PCMCIA card($90 - $110), an Echo Indigo PCMCIA sound card(Very expensive, $180 - $220), or an external usb sound card(haven't looked to hard because they are not nearly as good a solution as the above choices, but they do have the most diverse outputs). However, be aware, that the PCMCIA controller in the 9300(as well as other models) have a Ricoh R/RL/5c476(II) chipset, that is known to have issues with PCMCIA sound cards. Creative as well as Echo. Check out the Forum Home > Home and Home Office Systems > Inspiron > Audio and the Forum Home > Home and Home Office Systems > Inspiron > External Peripherals forums.

As far as video transfer goes, I haven't done much. I have transferred one of my old super 8's to DVD(Sony Camcorder --> Firewire --> 9300 --> DVD) using all the software that came on my 9300 & had the best luck/quality using Microsofts built-in stuff.

As for Dell Reps monitoring these forums, I personally haven't seen much evidence of it. Of course, that doesn't mean much because I have not been looking very hard to see if they do.

Message Edited by rogerw99 on 01-15-2006 03:32 PM

• Roger, you seem to know your video stuff quite well. But the fact is that in the past some Inspiron models (ex. i8000) came with the ability to send out s/pdif, a digital stereo (with encoded surround) audio signal. Access to the spdif was via an adapter that plugged into the 7 pin s-video port. The adapter was popularly called the dongle and it was included with the models that had spdif as an option. It had to be connected to a receiver with a spdif input, and a surround decoder for surround sound from dvd's.

I have no idea if any current Inspirons offer spdif. That they don't come with the dongle would indicate not.

We used to have a very active Dell moderator. Sadly, he knew very little about audio. He would say the most outrageously incorrect things and drive the regulars up the wall. My guess is that the moderators became the victims of cost cutting. We are on our own on this board.

Jim

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Jimco,

I stand corrected. I should have researched my own system more closely.

To Agentman, my apologies for misinforming you on this issue.

After doing a little more digging I found that there are some non-standard S-Video setups out there. They must be using pin 6 for the digital audio out, if they are preserving an S-Video output through the use of an adapter. However, I cannot find a pinout for the 9300 S-Video output connector to verify this. Anyway, I should have looked for more up to date info before spouting off. That TV/Digital Audio Adapter Cable that Dell shows in the 9300 manual does not seem to be available anymore, at Dell, that I can find. The TV/Digital Audio Adapter Cable that you found will probably work for what you want to do. The receiving pc must be able to receive & process SPDIF digital audio. The output of the Sigma Tel STAC 9750 chip is a 2 channel device. The chip is capable of 6 channel AC-3 playback with the right codecs installed. What they are I couldn't say. It is also an 18 bit ADC/ 20bit DAC chip. Here is a link to the specifics if you are interested.

http://www.sigmatel.com/documents/stac9750-pb.pdf

So I don't know if you'll get surround or not. All you can do is experiment and see what you get. Dell is not very specific about what you can & can't do whith their audio solution. And motherboard manufacturers don't nessessarily include all the possible functions of an onboard audio chip. And from what I can see, it doesn't look as if Dell included the 6 channel playback. But then, it may work only through the SPDIF connection. You'll just have to try it and find out. I would be interested to hear about your results.

In response to your Part 3, How have you phisically connected the 9300 & XPS for audio?

• Roger you're doing good but I typed up the following before your last post so I'll go ahead with it:

AgentMan,

I don't know the answers to most of your questions but I can give you some basic info. A good resource you should utilize is the 'search this board' utility at the bottom of the page.

Audio is transferred in one of 2 forms , analog or digital. The headphone jack sends out an analog audio signal. Since most audio these days is in digital form, it has to be converted to analog by going through a digital to analog converter (DAC). Since audio in the real world is in fact analog, at some point this conversion is inescapable.

However if you are transferring audio from 1 digital device to another then there is a quality advantage in keeping the signal digital so that numerous DAC and ADC conversions are avoided, because the conversions degrade the signal more or less, depending on the quality of the converters. There are different digital audio protocols, one of which is spdif, which itself comes in 2 flavors, optical or coax (the type of cable used for the physical connection between devices). As I said, I don't know if the 9300 supports spdif, but if it does that dongle has the coax type connection. But I don't think it has spdif.

"To process SPDIF as an out-going signal, Do you have to have an external audio processsing card to process the signal." Not if your computer supports spdif output. The receiving device has to have a coax spdif input jack in order to connect to the dongle. Additionally, it would need a surround decoder if you want to process the surround sound from a dvd.

"how do you get both L-R audio signals " Spdif is a 2 channel protocol, (the surround channel information is encoded).

" Is it best to use the audio out signal from the headphone OR is this S-Video TV out-connector a better technique and option."

Theoretically digital is better for the reason given above. In my opinion it depends on how 'golden' are one's ears. The specs of the DAC of the onboard integrated audio system are slightly better than CD quality. However it is a very inexpensive audio chip that resides in an electrically noisy environment on the motherboard. The audio can also be affected by poorly written audio drivers. As a result, the default sound from the hp jack is rarely going to be better than FM radio quality. This actually can be pretty good but far from the best available.

You can upgrade the analog quality and get easy-to-use spdif by adding any Soundblaster external soundcard. I use their inexpensive usb Mp3+ card. The cards bypass the onboard audio system entirely. Just by being outside of the computer is an improvement. Mine has a dedicated gold plated stereo line-out instead of the headphone/line-out combo used on the computer. Additionally, it has optical spdif. This means that the receiving device must have an optical spdif port, common for studio equipment but less common for consumer audio equipment. Optical spdif has an advantage over coax: because it uses light rather than copper to transmit the signal it eliminates the possibility of ground loop problems which is always possible when connecting an Inspiron to another piece of audio gear with conductive cables.

I believe their cheapest usb card now is the usb Live! I mention this one only because it has 1 advantage over the others, it draws its power from the usb port and doesn't have to be plugged into an electrical outlet. If plugging in another wall wart is okay with you then look at the usb Audigy. As Roger said, the pcmcia Audigy is a more elegant solution but it might not work.

The more expensive cards have better than cd quality converters, again as Roger said, 24 bit. These can give slightly better audio particularly in the high end of the frequency range. I can no longer tell the difference so that doesn't matter to me. If you are the type of person who can tell the difference between different brands of audio cables then the better cards are for you. Also you get surround decoding with the better cards.

All of the Soundblasters are of consumer quality. The absolute best gear is studio equipment, for example you can get a stand-alone DAC/ADC converter box (not a complete soundcard) for big $$. You asked what is the 'best' way to maintain audio quality. The answer would involve some esoteric studio gear like this. This kind of gear is simply going to have better components and lower self-noise. However after exploring all of the options you might find that a consumer external soundcard might be more that adequate for your audio needs even if not the literally best quality.

I might be wrong but I think the dongle thing is either going to be a dead end or will just be a pain to configure in the software and to use successfully.

I don't do video so these basics are all I can share. If you are trying to duplicate a dvd audio track with all of its surround information intact by re-recording it (as opposed to copying/pasting a file) on another computer, I don't think this is possible without a surround multi-track recorder such as Sonar, but that's just a guess, definitely not in my small area of expertise.

Jim

• The best option for sharing audio/video from one PC to another is by transferring the digital data file, unless this is prevented by copyright protection. Converting the digital data to analog and then capturing it on another system and converting analog signals to digital data involves some signal degradation, and video capture devices manufactured after mid-2005 prevent copying DRM protected content anyway.

GM
  • Agentman & Jimco,

I found the Sevice Manuals for both the 9300 & the XPS notebooks (9300/M140/M170 are the same where the S-Video is concerned). It appears that there is some conflict between what the Service Manuals say & what the Owners Manuals say about the output of the S-Video connector on all three laptops. According to the SM's the pinouts do not include SPDIF Digital Audio as claimed by the Owners Manuals. Agentman, if you were trying to get audio from that S-Video connector, then this may be why you failed to get your audio. The pinout isn't even the same as I stated earlier. According to the SM pins 5, 6 & 7 are 5 = Not Connected, 6 = Composite Video & 7 = Ground. Thats quite a bit different from what I've known to be the standard. Anyway, it doesn't show any audio. Here's the link to the M170...

http://premiersupport.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm170/en/sm/index.htm

I don't know which is the more correct, owners manual or service manual. You'll have to contact tech support to find out. In any case, there is one other affordable choice for for an external USB Audio Card. I'd go for the Audigy 2 NX. Creative doesn't make them anymore but there are still plenty of them available & I believe a better choice then the Live! edition for about $90. Try pricegrabber.com or pricewatch.com to see what you can get. As for myself, I'll probably be getting the Audigy 2 NX to transfer my Vinyl LPs to CD. It would give me the least amount of trouble in hooking up a turntable to do the transfer.

• This is good stuff guys,  I appreciate you all devoting your time and creating some very informative details and information.  Calling Dell Technical service?   We're doing exactly what Dell planned all along - right?  Like.... ahh mmmm  "Japan bombs Pearl Harbor".  You'll hear from Dell the day you own them money,  and then it'll be an "indian" six or seven time zones away.  The biggest help we're gonna get from Dell is them continuing to support the bandwidth and storage area of these forums.  You guys are the best technical help anyone who has bought a Dell - can find. 

The best advice comes from you guys and not some company with limited self items,  or electronics made specifically for Dell and their specifications.  What I have right now is the foundation,  and listening to you all - at a later date I can purchase the best external electronics that gives me the complete package.

IEEE-1394
                                 This connection,  I think - is the wave of the future.  Looking around in my DEVICE MANAGER (on both systems) I've discovered I have "capture devices" on both computers, AND I
    have IEEE-1394 drivers on both the Dell Inspiron 9300 and the Dell XPS Gen2 Desktop.  With the weekends ahead I'll be investigating how functional these are between the two computers,  from a
    capability and compatability standpoint. 
                                 I can point this out.  The recording "capture software" that came on-board with the XPS Desktop has an "options" area where you tell it the in-coming signal is either S-Video or Composite.  But  NO IEEE-1394 appears in the pull-down list.  mmmmmm  I'll keep my fingers crossed, I've only had the 9300 one week.

The Dell Inspiron 9300 as a "SOURCE PLAYER"
    Four softwares to choose from:
    1) Cyberlink PowerDVD
    2) Media Center
    3) Sonic MyDVD LE
    4) If you count Windows Media Player as a source.

Media Center was almost instantly ruled out because it places a information bar across the top of the screen and on-screen button controls at the bottom of the screen.  This arrives with the signal
    to the recording side,  and I don't know at the moment if one can turn these displays off.

Cyberlink PowerDVD does a very decent at allowing controls settings such as Video/Display settings to be adjusted,  and a DVD section for changing both Audio and Video settings.  Audio can be set to Dolby Surround and Stereo on 2-speaker configuration (which is what the 9300 has).
    Other Speaker settings are available in formats of SPDIF,  4-speakers, 6-speakers, 7 speakers, 8-speakers and headphones.  Using a settings configuration of 2-speaker and Headphones the area options for "Audio Channel Expander" goes dimme.  Of coarse Dynamic Range Compression is still available in Normal, Quite and Noisy EnvironmentsQUESTION:  Does this mean with poor drivers, loose connections and less than stellar hardware, i need to set this to "Noisy Environment".  That's what I gather as someone pointed out above.

Sonic MyDVD LE  I haven't use it as a source player yet,  but I'll be getting around to doing so very soon.

Windows Media Player  same as Sonic above.

The Dell XPS Gen2 Desktop as a "IN-COMING SOURCE RECORDER"
    Three softwares to choose from:
    1) Dell Movie Studio - By Roxio
    2) Windows Movie Maker
    3) Sonic MyDVD

Dell Movie Studio - By Roxio was the best.   Using EASY CAPTURE,   this one offers the widest range of recording environments for audio and video.  Under VIDEO CAPTURE FORMAT the user can choose USER DEFINED for a wide range of audio codecs, frame speeds and video specifications (MPEG-1 & MPEG-2) .  NOTE:  I've still yet to figure out how to preserve widesceen movies once they arrive as a signal and maintain the 16:9 characteriztics.

Windows Movie Maker was a tad bit more clunky.  On accasions it would record just fine.  In some case it would freeze and on other times I noticed when the camera would zoom in on Stevie Ray's hands on his guitar,  the pixels would form square areas that created delay like effects and video quality would drop off drastically. (unacceptable for use)  As long as the stage video camera stayed panned way back this would not occur.  Also processing times of 1:00 movies would either make you think it was LOCKED UP or taking an extreme long time to process only one minute of record time.

Sonic MyDVD   On the Dell XPS Desktop I've yet to get it to record a single second.  Every time
    I did a set-up (no matter what slight adjustments I made) Sonic MyDVD would instantly (upon hitting record) would give me a error screen saying.....Could Not Complete The Last Command Because Run Capture Error (DVDErr, -62015)  I haven't given up on this one, so a full driver upgrade or reinstall might be the only thing I can do - to bring it back to life.

Summary:   So far everything I done cable wise is an S-Video cable from the Inspiron 9300.  With Audio being taken from the Headphones jack thru a split cable into L-R  RCA plugs.  Dell sold me this little desktop docking station for cable input/outputs that looks like a little hockey puck,  with a large single cable that routes to my Capture Card in the back of my Dell XPS Desktop.  
    It has S-Video IN,  RCA Video IN.  Left RCA IN and Right RCA IN.   Then double that again for all OUT Signals  (8 Total)

I haven't yet purchased the S-Video TV out-connect that Dell use to supply with it's older Laptops.  Until I discover the limintations of my IEEE-1394 connections I'm going to hold off and make do with what I have.

The simple matter of using my Inspiron 9300 as a output source player is becuase of it's limited or non-existant input connections.  Short of what I discover it's IEEE-1394 can do,  It's going to remain an output source only. 

I hope this thread expands quite a bit.  Frankly you can go over volumes of material to discuss and really it (These Forums) are our best chance to hear about the electronic gear that's available. 

P.S.   -    Remember what I said about Dell Movie Studio - By Roxio  having the widest range
                   of Audio and Video settings to choose from - to choose before recording.  Here's the
                   list.   If any experts get this far into reading the thread and see one that is a bonified
                  BEST BET to always use - VBG  Let us all know about it.

Video Settings:                                                  Audio Settings:

DMO JPEG Video Compression              WM Speech Encoder DMO
    WMVideo Encoder DMO                           WM Audio Encoder DMO
    MSScreen encoder DMO                         MainConcept (Sonic) MPEG
    WMVideo 9 Encoder DMO                        IMA ADPCM
    WMVideo Advanced Encoder                  PCM
    MSScreen 9 encoder DMO                      Microsoft ADPCM
    DV Video Encoder                                      ACELP.net
    Indeo video 5.10 Compression               DSP Group TrueSpeech
    MainConcept (Sonic) MPEG                    Windows Media Audio V1
    MJPEG Compressor                                 Windows Media Audio V2
    Cinepak Codec By Radius                       GSM 6.10
    Intel Ideo Video 4.5                                    Microsoft G.723.1
    Indeo video 5.10                                        CCITTA-Law
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec             CCITTA u-Law
    Microsoft RLE                                             MPEG Layer-3

Best Regards,
    Agentman
  • Agentman,

From your last response, I gather that you are trying to transfer commercial digital media from you 9300 to your own media on the XPS system. If that's so, then you are more than likely going continue to have trouble no matter what you do. The trouble with audio/video quality or lack of either, slow downs & appearent lock-ups as well as pixelation sound a great deal like copy protection to me. I had thought that what you were doing was home video or your own semi-professional work. If the former is the case, then I don't know of any way for you to bypass that copy protection. I agree that copy protect schemes go way too far and is in violation of the fair-use laws. And we should have the right, as purchaser & owner of said media product, to make backup copies for strictly personal use. You don't know how many times I've had to repurchase a game or movie(if it was still available) because I couldn't make a back-up of the previously undamaged media due to copy protection. At those times I grit my teeth so hard that they acke. However, media pirates have gone and ruined it for everyone with a legitimate reason to make back-up copies. And no matter what "They" do to copy protect, the pirates will find a way to undo. The only people that "They" are hurting, are their own lagitimate customers. In any case, I cannot in good conscience, continue to assist if this is to bypass any copy protection schemes, wrong as I feel that they are. For that, in itself, is also illegal.

• In the first post Agentman said "So far, I've produced family video from DELL 9300 to DELL XPS Desktop that have video but no audio sound. "

I thought we were talking about home movies. So are Stevie Ray's hands from a home movie or commercial?

Jim

• Let me clarify a few things,  I've yet to record or backup anything in it's entirety.  Since I've only had my Inspiron two weeks now,  I've been running 10-second to 1-min clips strictly as a test basis for analyzing the unit's capability. At this in point in time,  I'm only trying to figure out the best cable combinations,  best source output software and best recording software.  Any short clips I've backed up were unaccpetable quality or a total nightmare.  Each night is basically a waste to leave such junk on my hard-drive so it is deleted.  Once I've determine what configuration works best,  I intend to record, backup or "copy" as much home family videos (That I've created on Hi8 tape) as is requested from family, freinds or relative. At no time do I intend to fully backup or copy commercial products that are protected. Sorry for the confusion I've created.

Best Regards,
    Agentman
  • Agentman,

Sorry for the insinuation. As a creator of intellectual property (music) I'm a bit fanatical about protecting the rights of the owners of such properties.

You've probably already said this but I have to confess I've lost the point of this thread. Just for my curiousity, would you say again why you are doing this ... playing a movie on one computer while recording it on another ... instead of transferring the file. I've forgotten if you said what is the advantage of this and your posts are rather complex to go back through. Thanks,

Jim

• Agentman,

Sorry, but I had to ask.

I have some questions.

1. What brand/model camcorder do you have & is it the same one you did the Hi8 recordings with?

2. Does the camcorder have a USB2 or Firewire(IEEE-1394) connector for connecting it to another device, usually a PC?

3. Did the camcorder come with video editing/transfer/encoding sofware and if so what?

4. At what resolution were the Hi8 tapes recorded?

I ask all this because it will be easier to have it all in one short response than digging through all the previous entries.

• roderw99 & jimco,   
                                     Months ago I when I had got my Dell APS Desktop,  I transfered several of my family home videos of vacations, birthdays and our kids playing sports etc., to DVD format.  Playing those back on the computer it became obvious they were recorded in 4:3 screen format, and the audio portion would only come out of 2 speakers.
                                     Since getting the new Dell 9300 Widescreen three weeks ago. I wanted to know
    if I could use a combination technique of two computers to transfer the movies already on DVD,  and using the pre-installed software on the 9300 widescreen to send the signal to the older XPS desktop.
    While effectively changing the home videos into widescreen format.
                                     The combination of an older analog camcorder connected directly to a older Dell XPS Desktop was not going to allow that to work.  The Dell 9300 is widescreen and one of it's pre-installed softwares has an Video Setting that is set to either "widescreen" or "4:3".  The audio settings have the choice between Stereo and Dolby Surround.
                                     The emphasis on my theory was to re-edit existing home videos into widescreen format and to try and expand the audio portion to play on more than just two speakers.
    The Stevie Ray reference I used was in regard to using it as a benchmark.  You know for certain it
    statisfies the criteria of widescreen and it also was done in (at least) 5.1 sound.
                                      If you plop it in and the signal arrives perserving the widescreen aspect and sound comes out of more than just two speakers,  then I hypothesised those settings might transfer my family home videos with the same effects.  The emphasis was to mimic what a decently recorded DVD had, and ask it to provide the same effects for a video that came off an analog camcorder.
                                     The results were terrible and not worth writing home to momma about. One computer acts as a player and the other computer acts as a recorder.  Your asking the software on both to work together and attempt to reproduce the widescreen effect. As long as you have a commercial video in, you simply don't hit record.  But as long as it's in play mode you can observe to see if you think it's working,  while trying several different settings.  When you get to the one setting you think is right, you pull that video out and put in your family home video and try re-recording it with the intended results.
                                     What I don't understand is why it didn't work in regards to re-editing my analog movies into widescreen. I understand people get nervous when someone says their testing the effects of widescreen commercial DVD, but you can at least observe them in play mode while conducting such a simple anaylsis. I will add, that while observing the commercial DVD in play mode, the audio portion sounded like screeching banshees' from H E double L, and the video portion was like out of sync (for a better lack of terms)  I would call them multiple rectangular artifacts.  Your no where even close to being able to hit the record button - so why bother. If I spooked you guys you have my apologies. The bad part about internet message boards is the inferences involved,  the lack of body and hand gestures, and the general tone of voices that we witness in person.  Without having our common and sixth sense with "in person" interaction;  it's all too common to get the wrong read off someone. I can say that my intentions were admirable, but until there is person to person interaction; message board talk will be what it always will be - less than perfect.

Best Regards
    Agentman
  • rogerw99,

1)  The camcorder is like a 1994-5 model TRV-101,  Hi-8mm, Sony

2)  No - It does not have either USB style or Firewire connector.  Sucs having a nice camera

that technology quickly makes it outdated.

3) No software came with this camera, and I think that probably started occuring as the newer DV

cameras came out with features, software could be of use.

4) Resolution:   No reviews I could find even mentions what the camera's resolutions are.

Athough the camera is an excellant choice, it's based on what was available around 1995.  It sure makes it stuff to set it aside and go buy a new DV format camera.  Same goes for my Pioneer receiver I paid $1895.00 for.  The very next models they released added eccentially one more feature...........IEEE-1394,  which mine doesn't have.  Go figure - you can NEVER when this battle.