Upgraded an older Inspiron and now there is static in the audio

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Upgraded an older Inspiron and now there is static in the audio

This question is not answered

I upgraded my several-years-old Dell Inspiron E1505.  I upgraded the hard drive and I upgraded the RAM to the acceptable maximum limit.  I upgraded the SigmaTel driver to SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC and now have static in the audio.  I tried the original/older SigmaTel driver- still static.  Any ideas on a fix?  Hardware or software to upgrade?  I also cannot get the Synaptics Touchpad to work properly, either, but I'll post that in another forum.

All Replies
  • Hello. Which operating system, XP or Vista? See the Choppy/Skipping Audio Workarounds FAQ for some suggestions on noises. Vista was worse than XP for noise.

I would unplug from house current and run a check just on battery power to rule out a bad power adapter brick which could introduce noise. If that pases then plug back in again and try some of the things in the faq. Disable wireless, disable all power saving features and enable max performance.

I think the hard drive in your model was SATA but if it was IDE make sure it is in DMA and not PIO mode. If you have a TS-L462C optical drive that could cause a problem if you updated the firmware.

I would not suspect the Sigmatel driver. Even though you "upgraded", they are still 4 or 5 years old depending on your OS and known to work okay. There is a certain order of installation to get the audio driver to install but you must have done it okay or else you would have no audio at all (in XP; but if you have Vista you could have audio even if the Sigmatel driver did not install properly because Vista contains a native HD audio driver, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about it causing static.)

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• It's Windows XP and yes, a SATA drive both originally and now in the upgrade.  I played around with the drivers this evening, using both the Dell website and the Drivers and Utilities disk I got with the hard drive upgrade.  I tried out the audio driver for the Inspiron 1501, v07 instead of the v06 version the disk tells me I need for my computer model, and the audio plays much much better- still some hiccups but listening is now much better.  I reinstalled some other drivers, too, so perhaps that helped also.  If I notice anything more still I will run the battery power check- that will be easy, thank you.

• The Sigmatel audio driver you should be using is R171789, which is version 5.10.0.5515, A11. It  is compatible with over 40 of the Dell laptops with XP, including the E1505 and 1501. Another good Sigmatel driver  for the E1505 is the older R122161, which is version 5.10.0.4995, A06. Both drivers are very good. The difference was that R171789 has stereo mix and R122161 doesn't, but there is a hack available to make it have stereo mix too.

Note that after you install an audio driver you usually cannot install over it a different audio driver of an earlier date. You usually should first delete the files of the newer driver from the hard driver. When you have multiple audio drivers in the drivers folder on the hard drive, Windows will install the newest dated one.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member