IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - Latitude e5420

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC - Latitude e5420

This question is not answered

HI,

I have installed Dell latitude e5420 with XP SP3, and the audio device is not working anymore, i have a problem that IDT Codec could not be installed.

All drivers, i have download them from DELL Website with my Service Number. Everything is working except Audio, Also in the Divice Manager Window, all drivers are properly installed and i have a red cross on IDT High Definition Audio Codec!

NB: Original OS : Vista 32bit Home Basic SP2

Thanks in advance for your Support!

All Replies
  • Hello. Before installing the IDT driver, did you follow this order of installation:

1. Install the Dell System Software and restart, then

2 the Intel Chipset Software & restart, then

3. the IDT XP driver R297613

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Hello Jim,

Thank you for your reply,

Actually i can't remember the order of installation i made, but i will reinstall the notebook again with XP and try to make the installations with the order you said!

I will give you a feedback!

Thanks & Regards

• Before doing a full re-installation try just installing the 3 items. Usually that is all that is needed.

• Hello Jim,

I have just finished reinstalling the notebook, i have also installed the drivers with the order you told me, but i have always the same problem,

1/ Error from Hardware wizard There was a problem installing this hardware: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

2/ Error from IDT XP driver  R297613 : The hardware detected is not supported by this IDT software package. The install will be aborted.

• Try going into Device Manager and try to find a sound device with a mark (a bang) next to it (or it might be a "pci device"  under System Devices). If there, right click and choose to update the driver. Do not let Windows try to find a driver, but instead manually browse to c:\dell\drivers\R297613\WDM.

If that doesn't get the audio working then I don't know what the problem is. Here are Dell's instructions for installing the drivers.  Notice that step 4 says "Intel Matrix Storage Manager". That has been replaced by "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" which can be found on the E5420 downloads page in the "Serial ATA" category.

Note that the audio driver goes in before the video driver. Re-start is required after System Software and again after the Chipset software.