Dell XPS L502x Internal Microphone Problem

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Dell XPS L502x Internal Microphone Problem

This question is not answered

Recently i brought Dell XPS L502x laptop....but the problem is itz internal microphone is producing lot of noise....connecting an external microphone works and no noise is detected...but i want my built in microphone to work also....i have tried everything.....from changing audio settings to installing the updated drivers ....but nothing work!!! need help...nd thnx in advance :)

All Replies
  • dak_libra
    .i have tried everything.....from changing audio settings to installing the updated drivers ...

I don't think there is anything else you can do, software wise. Sometimes the mic is noisy because it is picking up noise from the hard drive, or getting electrical interference, and there isn't much to be done about it. Or it could be that it is defective or has a bad connection. The only way I know to rule out the last two things is to get get Dell to replace the mic and see whether that corrects the problem.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• even iam facing the same problem - i cant record voice through my built in mic - iam using dell XPS 15 L502x.

Now its gonna year - i dont get time too to speak to customer service

• atuldarne
    i cant record voice through my built in mic

The mic does not work at all? Have you taken any steps to get it to work? You should

> Install or re-install the Realtek audio driver.

>  Make "Microphone Realtek High Definition" the default recording device on the Recording tab of the Sound Properties.

>  Then highlight Microphone and click the "Configure" button and check the settings.

> If you don't see "Microphone" at all, follow these steps:

1. Go to Start>Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab
           or Start>Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Manage Audio Devices>Recording tab
    2. Right click in blank area of the Recording tab
    3. Select "Show Disabled Devices"
    4. "Microphone Array" or "External Microphone" should appear
    5. Right click on "Microphone Array" and select "Enable".
    6. Set to be the "Default Device"

> Start Webcam Central

1. Click Start
       2. Click All Programs
       3. Click the Dell Webcam
       4. Click Webcam Central to start the program.
       5. In the lower right-hand corner of the Dell Webcam Central window, click the drop-down arrow next to the picture of the microphone. Select Microphone.  Make sure it is not muted.

If the above steps do not help, go to "Sound Problems in Microsoft Windows Microphone Troubleshooting" and click on "Run the Audio Recording Troubleshooter" to download the Dell Audio Recording Diagnostic tool.

If that does not help, restore the laptop to the original factory configuration by using Dell Factory Image Restore (page 82 of the XPS L502x Setup Guide) or the System Recovery Media that you created when you initially set up the laptop (page 12). If the mic still does not work even with the original configuration, probably it is defective or has a loose connection. To check the connection may require loosening of the bezel around the display screen.   

• hi Jim,

I tried the both things, in dell central webcam - i have not muted the mic.

While recording in windows sound recorder if i make a clap sound - it is recorded, but if i speak it doesn't.

I tried calling the customer care they reinstalled the driver and told me that they will call me tonight.

i dont see microphone array or external microphone - i instead see the microphone and sterio mix options from wich th microphone is enabled

• Thanks for the update.

Try to find a way to increase the recording volume level. The only instructions in my notes are for Mic array -- I don't know the path when there is no mic array setting.

If you are still under warranty see if you can get Dell to replace the mic.