Forums

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

No HDMI Audio - Dell XPS 17 3D laptop with NVIDIA GT555M - video is ok ? !!

This question has suggested answer(s)

Hello all,

I have a problem with Dell XPS 17 with 3D display  (XPS L702x).

It is a couple of days old.

When I connect using the HDMI port to my 55" Samsung LCD TV the video is displayed fine by the Samsung TV - but no sound from the TV!  ??

The laptop has the following characteristics:

Processor: Core i7-2820QM processor 2.30GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.4GHz.

Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP 1

Optical Drive: Blu Ray combo drive (reads Blu-Ray Disc & writes to CD/DVD)

Display: 17.3" (44 cm) FHD 3D WLED TL (1920x1080) 1080p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

Video Card: 3GB NVidia GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card - 3D Capable - driver version 8.17.12.6830

Sound: Realtek HD Audio Manager with Waves MaxxAudio & Andrea Microphone Technology

Sound: Realtek High Def Audio - driver version 6.0.1.6312
 & MS High Definition Audio Device - driver version 6.1.7601.17514

Blu Ray/DVD player software: CyberLink PowerDVD9.6

I had Dell Tech support spend about 2 hours with it yesterday - downloading/installing drivers.

The TV seems to connect and disconnect ok using Windows 7, for duplicating the PC Display on the TV, as video - the problem is that I don't also get sound on the TV at the same time ?

If I go into Windows 7 Control Panel, and select Sound - under Playback it displays:

4 x Digital Audio (HDMI);
1-4 - High Definition Audio Device;
Not plugged in.

1 x Speakers
Realtek High Definition Audio
Default Device

1 x Realtek Digital Output
Realtek High Definition Audio
Not plugged in.

Dell Tech Support seem to think that replacing the motherboard might help (presumably because of the "Not plugged in" status) - so are going to arrange for a replacement motherboard.

However, I have been in a similar situation to this before with Dell, and I suspect that the same will happen with a replacement motherboard.

Please - is their anyone here who recognises this situation and can advise me as to what to do to fix it - or give me a link to some advice that has worked ok for them in the past?

Many thanks.

DellBoy99

All Replies
  • Dellboy99
    When I connect using the HDMI port to my 55" Samsung LCD TV

If that Samsung has several ports and one of them is marked "HDMI/DVI" the audio won't work on that one and you have to use one of the plain HDMI ports (this tip was left by someone with a Samsung 55" who found a support document about it).

If that doesn't help you can look through the HDMI Audio FAQ. There are plenty of tips but I don't have anything for an XPS 702X yet.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• I have exact same problem. Here is the thing though. I was at my house and it all worked perfect. Today I'm at a hotel trying to stream Netflix from HDMI output and video works perfect but AUDIO refuses to work. I'm completely ticked off.  I've wasted 2 hours of valuable family vacation time now. 

When I attached the HDMI cable Windows did some updating for the HDMI Audio Devices.  I've tried a system restore but it still goes ahead and updates the drivers on reboot. 

I have reinstalled every driver multiple times in different orders. 

Not sure it matters but at home I use a Mitsubishi TV and the hotel has an LG.  For what that's worth.

So here I am on vacation writing tech support post at Dell.

This isn't  MOBO problem. It's a DRIVER problem. Fix it Dell asap. I'll be calling you when I get home.

• jimco

Dellboy99
    When I connect using the HDMI port to my 55" Samsung LCD TV

If that Samsung has several ports and one of them is marked "HDMI/DVI" the audio won't work on that one and you have to use one of the plain HDMI ports (this tip was left by someone with a Samsung 55" who found a support document about it).

Thanks for your swift reply to my OP Jim. For some reason I wasn't notified by email (or spam filters etc. got in the way of the email). What happened was:

Took the laptop around a friends house. Audio worked fine on his Sony TV. He also had a Samsung TV - the HDMI connection was far more of a problem (maybe we were just lucky with the Sony...). Had all sorts of intermittent disruption to the signal. Seeing as it worked ok with his Sony we persevered with his Samsung - and eventually managed (by trying the different HDMI ports available) to find a configuration that worked ok on hius Samsung.

Thus emboldened & enlightened I went back to my home & Samsung. Long story short. Audio works ok on my Samsung for HDMI 2 - but not (as far as I can tell) for the other HDMI ports.

In the Samsung TV manual it states:

"When using an HDMI/DVI cable connection, you must use the HDMI IN 2 jack." (their bold text)

So my thoughts, as a result of this are:

1. Jim's memory has let him down and he has said the opposite of the situation as it is (nevertheless a useful post and thanks for your help Jim).

2. Not all HDMI ports, on all TV's, are the same! - When connecting via HDMI to any TV (at home or in a hotel etc.) try all the HDMI ports on the TV and don't give up at the first sign of failure.

3. If the TV manual highlights a HDMI port as being the one to use with a DVI connection - it's likely that that is the port you want!

4. If your TV is fixed to the wall it may be that the required HDMI port is not easily accessible. This was the case with my TV and it was only by luck that I had an HDMI cable (unconnected to a device) hanging down from the required port. If I hadn't found that cable I don't think I would have bothered taking the TV off the wall to try it out...

Only other problem that I've had with the Dell is with the backlit keyboard - which I paid £20-£30 extra for and is actually LESS VISIBLE than the non-backlit keyboard ! - The Dell hardware guy replaced the backlit keyboard with a standard non-backlit keyboard - and the keyboard is now visible and useable! (he does seem to have slightly buckled the right side edge of the laptop in doing this though...).

Also, the standard Cyberlink software (PowerDVD 9.6) supplied by Dell played back 3D Blu-Rays with a glitch at scene chaneges (whilst a trial version of the TotalMedia Theatre 5 player did not have the problem). The solution to this is to download the latest patch using the blue arrow on the top bar (at the left) on the PowerDVD window). - This patch has been updated in about the past 3 weeks or so and has now fixed the 3D scene change glitch problem (for me, anyway).

Hope that helps.

• Dellboy99
    Jim's memory has let him down and he has said the opposite of the situation as it is

Ha ha. Well for sure ol' Jim's memory isn't what it used to be, but I don't think that was the problem in this case.  As mentioned the tip was left by someone with a Samsung 55".  Her forum name was laura97080, and I think she had an Inspiron 1525.  She also wrote:

"It was not until I read a Samsung support document (which is not in the owners manual or found in Samsungs on line support. It was a link from Samsung chat support) that mentioned that you can plug into any of the HDMI jacks on the TV, but if you use the one HDMI/DVI jack you'll need a separate audio cable. When I used an HDMI jack on the TV, the problem was solved."

That is creditable, because unlike HDMI, DVI does not carry audio.

Dellboy99
    Not all HDMI ports, on all TV's, are the same! - When connecting via HDMI to any TV (at home or in a hotel etc.) try all the HDMI ports on the TV and don't give up at the first sign of failure.

That's the moral I am taking from this. I believe that both you and laura97080 accurately reported what worked for you.  Unfortunately, with HDMI audio what works for one person seldom seems to work for anyone else. Thanks for sharing your experience and I will add it to the HDMI Audio FAQ the next time I edit it.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Have just  bought a LG LED 3D TV LW6550W and tried to connect my Dell XPS 17 with 3D display¬† (XPS L702x)

Get picture but no sound, have Windows 7 and go to Control Panel and and change settings for Sound  devices  and set the LG TV to primary sound. Still no sound, if I use the HDMI-adapter to my iPhone 4S both picture & sound.

Connected to PC again and then switch the TV OFF and then ON with the remote!

Eureka! I get  sound  from the LG with the HDMI connection.

MrMaFurb, Sweden