Dell Inspiron 1545- No sound on speakers (system sounds only on headphones)

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

Dell Inspiron 1545- No sound on speakers (system sounds only on headphones)

This question is not answered

Hello,

I've had this laptop for about one and a half years and it never had a big problem with it until yesterday! Here's the story, I purchased a brand new headset and it worked but then after awhile I found out my speakers didn't work anymore. I don't think the speakers are shot, i just think its in the headphone jack. I still get the system sounds through the headphones but that's it! HELP!!!!!

All Replies
  • Try re-installing the audio driver. If that does not help then you might have a failed sense pin in the jack.

There are tips on diagnosing that and other headphone jack problems in The Headphone Jack FAQ. Your model has HD audio so skip the part about AC97 audio.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• Thanks!

It must be a failed sense pin. I have pretty much all of the symptoms. Now its time to fix it!

Nick

• It wasn't the jack!

Well our computer man looked at it and disabled then enabled every audio setting and no it works. A 20 dollar visit is better than a 200 dollar motherboard!

Nick

• hello Mactonic

well i had the same problem with my N5010, i claimed the warranty , 1st they replaced speakers, it worked for some days as soon as i used the jack again my speakers were dead .

i claimed it 2nd time, this time they replaced motherboard and speakers, my bios showed a different service tag.

now for the third time  when i used a headphone it happend again, i dont know what to do, they are not refunding nor replacing.

i think its in the Jack or something. but if it were in the jack it should have been corrected in 2 warranty claims.

i dont know whats wrong with these laptops

if any body from Dell is reading this kindly tell me how can Dell laptop be refunded or replaced in SAGE countries like pakistan.

regards

• khanisar

it worked for some days as soon as i used the jack again my speakers were dead .

i claimed it 2nd time, this time they replaced motherboard and speakers, my bios showed a different service tag.

now for the third time  when i used a headphone it happend again,

The sense pin issue can be intermittent. If you saw the FAQ then you know that even a gentle probing can restore functioning, at least temporarily. But functioning can cease again at any time.

When Dell replaces parts there are a couple of things to consider. First they use refurbished parts and the technician cannot know if the jack is in excellent condition or if it is ready to fail again. There is no way to test for it, so I imagine that a number of the system boards that were replaced due to an intermittently failing sense pin end up being put back into someone else's computer.

Another consideration is that on some models the audio ports are on a separate circuit board from the motherboard. On those models if they just change the motherboard it won't help with the sense pin problem. In the FAQ I put a list of the models with circuit boards that I have been able to find, but I have no information about it on an Inspiron N5010 (or 1545 either).

khanisar
    i think its in the Jack or something. but if it were in the jack it should have been corrected in 2 warranty claims.

The FAQ explains how to diagnose a failed sense pin.

• Dear Jim,

thanks for your reply,

well i forgot to mention one more thing,

i always had this problem with left speaker only, the left speaker used to fail and right one worked but at a very low volume.

regards

• khanisar
    i always had this problem with left speaker only, the left speaker used to fail and right one worked but at a very low volume.

If you still have this symptom of some low volume through the right speaker then it is not a failed sense pin, but there could be something else wrong with the jack like bad wiring.

• Dear Jim,

thanks for your expert opinion now at least i know what could be wrong with my Laptop.

Regards