Periodic Single Beep

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Periodic Single Beep

This question is not answered

Hello Forum, I have a Dell Latitude E6400 and every once in a while a quick beep sounds. It seems to be coming from the lower left side of the laptop, basically just left of where my palm is when I type. I wen't online and saw a forum elsewhere talking about how to disable it. However, I more want to know what it signifies? The directions to disable it was to right click on my computer, choose properties, device manager, hardware, view, show all hidden devices, non plug and play device drivers, beep, and to disable it.... Any thoughts? Thanks

All Replies
  •  

It probably is not an audio issue. Try posting your question on the Laptop General Hardware Board for a better chance at getting an answer specific to your situation. You might get an answer here on the Laptop Audio Board but more eyes will see your post on the other board.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• did you ever get a good answer? we have the same problem...

• Well, I thought my answer was a good one, but that is just my opinion. The original poster did not follow my advice however. I advised to post on the Laptop General Hardware board because I don't think the beep is being caused by an audio problem, but rather by some other hardware or software problem.

Usually when folks have unwanted beeps I give them the instructions for turning off system beeps, but the original poster was already aware of these:

1. Open “Control Panel\System\Hardware Tab\Device Manager”.
    2. At the top click “View\Show hidden devices” then go to “Non-Plug and Play Drivers” and  double click “Beep”.
    3. Now click the “Driver Tab” and finally change “Startup Type” to “Disabled”.
    4. Restart.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• hi,

i followed the last entry but it was already disabled but laptop still beeps. :-(

i will post another question then.

Kind regards,

Thomas.

• Has anyone found an answer to this?  I'm experiencing this too and rather then ignore the short beep I'd prefer possibly finding the root cause of why this could be occuring.

Thanks,

Mike

• hi,

my problem has been fixed. it was the hard disk. unfortunately safe-boot was also installed n system, so a direct copy to another drive didn't help, the new drive did not boot.

so saveboot was removed, next copy didn't work either.

next step was to copy all data (2 partitions) from the old drive to another drive temporarily, then fix the MBR of the new drive manually, and finally copying all data back to the new drive.

no beep since then! Big Smile

hopefully there will never be a new one....

best regards,

thomas.

• nothing listed above has fixed my beep

this is strange that support doesnt give a sh#t about it

my next notebook will not be dell definitely, i recommend the same to you all