Inspiron 600m Dell Laptop No Sound?

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

Inspiron 600m Dell Laptop No Sound?

This question is not answered

Recently I have found out my wife's laptop has a virus called Virtumonde. I tried taking it off with virus and malware programs Spybot Search and Destroy and also AVG Free, and although all others left, I continue to have Virtumonde pop up each time even though when it finishes it says it has been fixed. Regardless, I no longer have sound. I am not sure if Virtumonde or one of the other problems were taken away as well as the sound.

It says I have no sound drivers installed... the only noise I get now is when I delete some thing from Task Manager and I am assuming that is an internal sound from the basics of the lap top. I downloaded what the Dell site said was an audio driver (Sigmatel) for my laptop and it said it installed properly, yet when I check in my "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" of the computer it still says there is no driver present. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience.

All Replies
  •  

Glad you made it back. Try this.

Delete the audio driver files from your computer to ensure a clean new driver installation. Go to your hard drive
     c:\Dell\Drivers\R...and delete any folders whose 'R' names correspond to a Sigmatel driver. The Sigmatel folders will be the ones that have a subfolder named "WDM". There could be none, one, or more. Deleting these will ensure a clean installation.

Next go to the 600m downloads page and install in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Restart.

b. Next install the Intel Mobile Chipset driver (expand the Chipset category). Restart.

c. Install the Sigmatel audio driver (expand the Audio category).

Rarely there will still be a problem with the installation at this point (in XP). In those cases follow this tip from forum member rpilT2005: check in the Device Manager for a "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark next to it, under the "System Devices" grouping. Hit 'update driver' on that one, and it should find the driver.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

•   Thank you for replying.  I tried to follow your directions as close as possible.  I only had one WDM sub folder that I could find.  A subfolder is one that is instantly inside another folder correct.  Once I open a folder that starts with an "R" and I do not instantly see a WDM I can keep moving to the next "R"folder correct?  Or do I have to open folders with in folders with in folders to make sure there is no more WDM sub folders anywhere, then back out to the next "R" folder and repeat the process?

Secondly, step 2 asked me to over write the folder of step 1.  Was I suppose to hit yes or no?  I hit yes and rewrote over it... if I am not suppose to what do I call the new folder?

Lastly where do I find this "Device Manager"?  I am a bit computer illiterate.  Could you explain it please?  Thank you.

•  

A subfolder is one that is instantly inside another folder correct.  Once I open a folder that starts with an "R" and I do not instantly see a WDM I can keep moving to the next "R"folder correct?  Or do I have to open folders with in folders with in folders to make sure there is no more WDM sub folders anywhere, then back out to the next "R" folder and repeat the process?

It can be either way you described, because some df the versions of the audio drivers have the WDM folder as the main subfolder, whereas other versions have it as a sub-subfolder. For example it could be a subfolder of a subfolder named "ich4" or other names that I don't know -- because I have examined some of the Sigmatel drivers but by no means most of them. The reason I suggested you to do this is because Windows uses the files in those folders to re-create the drivers, and that can interfere with the installation of a new driver in certain circumstances.

Secondly, step 2 asked me to over write the folder of step 1.  Was I suppose to hit yes or no?  I hit yes and rewrote over it...

That is correct. The reason I suggested that step is because the Notebook System Software and the Chipset driver are necessary conditions to getting the Sigmatel driver to install. You tried before without success but I don't know why not, so I wanted to eliminate as many causes as possible in attempting to diagnose the problem. By re-installing those two items we are trying to eliminate that they might have been missing or corrupted. It is okay to overwrite the folders because it is very unlikely you have have multiple or incorrect versions of these that might cause problems later. But it is more likely to be the case with the Sigmatel driver.

Lastly where do I find this "Device Manager"?

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware (tab)>Device Manager (button).

***********************************************************************************************************

If you do all of that but the Sigmatel driver will not install, try using the audio tests in Dell Diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem. The tests are independent of Windows and drivers, meaning it doesn't matter if those are working correctly or not. To run Dell Diagnostics

1. Restart the computer and tap the f12 key as soon as it starts to boot up .
    2. Select 'Diagnostic' from the boot menu. The computer will run its pre-boot assessment tests (PSA) before Dell Diagnostics starts. During the PSA you will hear some tones through the system speaker but this does not adequately test the audio hardware. Dell Diagnostics plays an instrumental piece of music complete with drums, so if you only hear some tones then you have only run the PSA.
    3. Dell Diagnostics should open after the PSA tests, or you should see an option to open it. If you have ever reformatted your entire hard drive then Dell Diagnostics will no longer be there as an option. In that case run it from the Drivers and Utilities (Resource) CD if you have one.
    4. Select 'Custom', then the audio tests. (At this point - after you have opened Dell Diagnostic custom - if you can't find the option to select the audio tests that is a symptom of a failed audio chip.)
    5. The tests will run. Alternate between using headphones and listening to speakers in case only one signal path is working.
    The tests will play some audio and ask you whether you heard it.
    6. If you don't hear the music during the test it definitely means there is a hardware failure somewhere in the system.
    7.If you do hear the audio during the test but not when you boot back into Windows, that almost always means the hardware is okay but there is a problem with the audio driver or with Windows.
    8. Error codes: If you answer 'no' to any question that the test asks you, the test generates an error code that can tell a Dell technician that you answered 'no' to that question. The test does not know the exact component that has gone bad. Before answering 'no' to a question, make note of the circumstances at that point so you will know in general what the error code means.

•   I did a search of the key word "WDM" and there is one hidden folder with many numbers like "{7959721D-8268-... }"  in my "C:\Program Files\InstalledShield Installation Information folder".  Do I delete just that one, or just the "WDM" folder in the numbered folder or the entire InstalledShield Installation Information folder which would delete all of the numbered folders...

Also I can not find a "PCI Device" only a "PCI bus".  Do I up date the "PCI bus" driver?  Also there was no yellow "?" next to it or any thing else.

•  

Jesse,

Only delete the Sigmatel driver folders that reside in the c:\Dell\Drivers folder. Look for "WDM" subfolders there just to help identify which of the "R" folders are Sigmatel.

Also I can not find a "PCI Device" only a "PCI bus".  Do I up date the "PCI bus" driver?  Also there was no yellow "?" next to it or any thing else.

That step should be tried only after you have downloaded and installed a Sigmatel driver but still do not get audio. If you cannot find a PCI Device" with a yellow question mark or an exclamation point next to it then skip that step as it does not pertain to your situation.