2 month old Inspiron 1720 (Vista Ultimate) - No Audio except system beeps

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Forums (Audio, General Hardware, Video)

2 month old Inspiron 1720 (Vista Ultimate) - No Audio except system beeps

• First of all, let me preface this by saying that I am definitely not a novice computer user.  I'm a software engineer and have been working with Vista systems for over a year now.  All of a sudden a few days ago I noticed my audio stopped working on my 2 month old Inspiron 1720 (Windows Vista Ultimate and SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC).  When I try to manually start the Windows Audio service from the Service Control Manager it says "Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on Local Computer.  Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start."  I then try to manually start the MMCSS dependent service and get: "Windows could not start the MMCSS service on Local Computer.  Error 193: 0xc1".  Looking in the Event Viewer under Windows Logs-->System I see an error message: "The MMCSS service terminated with the following error:  MMCSS is not a valid Win32 application."

I first tried downloading the latest audio driver from the Dell website and reinstalling the driver.   When that didn't work, I called Dell and spent the afternoon with them trying to use System Restore to load several different restore points, eventually going all the way back to the original restore point (2 months ago).  None of the restore points will load successfully.  Dell then said it's a software problem and maybe a Microsoft update stomped on their "QuickSet" application and recommended I download the latest driver for QuickSet and reinstall it.  I did that and still no audio.

Searching MSDN and Google I've come across a couple of items that mention a Windows Update (1 of 3 pre-Vista SP1 updates pushed out last week) that caused some problems and was subsequently pulled by Microsoft (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287 and http://www.news.com/Microsoft-pulls-Vista-SP1-update/2100-1016_3-6231299.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc).

Given that, I looked at my update history and, sure enough, update 937287 was installed on 2/15/08 (which is about the time my audio stopped working).  However, that update can't be removed.

At this point I don't know whether or not the issue is with the Microsoft update or something else and am out of ideas for fixing this without reloading the factory image and losing all my data.

• The only thing I've seen posted on this board that even remotely resembles your description was posted by forum member "Cody" who said he found it on a Microsoft Windows forum:

"Try going into regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Audiosrv
    and in the DependOnService remove all entries except RpcSs and then restart your computer.
    If it doesn't fix your problem just add the other 2 dependencies back in or something. Might not be a bad idea to back up your registry before you make any changes." -- ichor

Cody said the problem developed on his computer after an incomplete installation of the Creative Audigy HD software.The installation attempt stops Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and when you try to re-activate it Windows can't find the necessary file. ==========================================================

Jim

PS If you don't have your files backed up then this is a good excuse to take care of that chore, then you can use the Factory Image Restore without losing your data.

Jim Coates -- senior forum member

• That was it!  I now have sound.  Thanks a BUNCH!

• I'm surprised that was it ... just a shot in the dark!

Jim

• Hi,

I have the same problem and your fix didn't work.  Any other ideas?

• Actually I had posted 2 ideas. The other one was

If you don't have your files backed up then this is a good excuse to take care of that chore, then you can use the Factory Image Restore without losing your data.

That 'should' cure it.

Jim