External USB Sound device

Laptop

Laptop
Laptop computer Hardware and Software discussion

External USB Sound device

• I am trying to get an external USB sound device (Hercules Audio Muse Pocket) running on my Latitude C610 without succes. System is freezing. My question: Is it necessary to deactivate the built in sound device of the C610 first and when "YES" how? Thanks for an answer, Walter
  • I just got a Sound Blaster USB MP3+ Audio and it works great. It was $20 on e-bay and it adds the line in and out (also optical i/o) that Dell skipped on this model. (C600) I've been wanting to mix audio and be able to do voice work on the road if needed.

Weberw, I don't know what operating system you're using, but in Windows 98SE I can go control panel and select an audio device. In fact, when the USB isn't plugged in, the Dell doesn't see it at all. I also have the ESS drivers installed when I'm not using the SB USB MP3+ Audio.

At first I could hear the computer sounds when recording audio. Things like my finger moving across the finger pad etc. But when I unplug the external power and use battery, the audio is as clean as I've heard anywhere. And, that's using just a mic coming from a mixer. It also has an updated version of the Wav editor that I loved so much from my SB PCI 128 sound cards. It allows you to record a Wav file and convert it to MP3. A nice feature.

Hope this helps someone wanting to get decent audio into a Dell C600.

Message Edited by billelder on 10-12-2005 07:51 AM